Unexpected error: Name cannot begin with the '<' character,

henklihenkli Posts: 2
I could not get the SQL Data Compare command line tool supplied in the cumulative patch (2010-11-04) to work, despite my best efforts. The command line tool worked for me prior to the cumulative patch.

I tried changing all the XML files I could find in the Data Compare directory, but was unable to find one with any offending XML data.

Running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 8>SQLDataCompare.exe
Unexpected error: Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 28, position 3.
Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 28, position 3.
System.Xml.XmlException
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseQName(Boolean isQName, Int32 startOffset, Int32& colonPos)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlCharCheckingReader.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at g.a(XmlSchema , Stream , Boolean )
   at g..ctor(Stream metaDefinitionIn, Boolean useCommon, Boolean schemaValidate)
   at RedGate.Shared.Utils.CommandLine.CommandLine.ParseCommandLine(Stream metaDefinitionIn, String[] args, Boolean useCommon, Boolean schemaValidate)
   at RedGate.Shared.Utils.CommandLine.CommandLine.ParseCommandLine(Stream metaDefinitionIn, String[] args)
   at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.Startup.a(String[] )

Comments

• Same problem here. Using Windows 7 Enterprise x64!

Can't start SQLDataCompare in a command prompt, even without any arguments.
  • A bug in using scripts folder made me install the cumulative patch, and now command line doesnt work at all (with the "Name cannot begin with the '<' character" error). Using Windows 7 x64.

Very, very annoying, since I am in the middle of testing Data Compare for the bank I'm working for.

Please advise asap.
  • Apologies for the problem with the command line you all encountered.

We've updated the patch to fix this, so please get the latest installer from the cumulative patch thread here
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Still experiencing the same problem with the updated patch: command-line use of sqldatacompare fails with an Exception:

Unexpected error: Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value
    0x3C. Line 28, position 3.
    Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 28, posit
    ion 3.
    System.Xml.XmlException
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseQName(Boolean isQName, Int32 startOffset
    , Int32& colonPos)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlCharCheckingReader.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
    at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
    at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean prese
    rveWhitespace)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
    at g.a(XmlSchema , Stream , Boolean )
    at g..ctor(Stream metaDefinitionIn, Boolean useCommon, Boolean schemaValidate
    )
    at RedGate.Shared.Utils.CommandLine.CommandLine.ParseCommandLine(Stream metaD
    efinitionIn, String[] args, Boolean useCommon, Boolean schemaValidate)
    at RedGate.Shared.Utils.CommandLine.CommandLine.ParseCommandLine(Stream metaD
    efinitionIn, String[] args)
    at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.Startup.a(String[] )
  • Many apologies for this. We're investigating. Internal testing on the patched build has been successful, but the one linked from the forum is confirmed to be still broken.

We should have this fixed by Monday.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Any news? Sorry to be pushy, but please let me know if I can help in testing.
  • Would you be able to download the patch and try again? I've installed it and can confirm that the command line isn't giving the same error.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I just downloaded now, and it appears to be working for me as well -- great!

I will work through our test today and give final feedback when done, hopefully in a few hours time.
  • It all seems to work correctly now, solving both the name < issue and the original issue that made me try the patch. So everything seems fine :)
  • That's great news. :D I can only apologise again for the issue in the first place. Do let us know if you come across further problems.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software