Bloked process alert

hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
edited November 22, 2010 6:40AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I just noticed that my blocked process alert > Details > Blocked Occured at: date and time is 5 hour ahead of my time raised.

Time raised 2:34 PM
Blocked occured at: 7:33:51 PM

Looks to be getting a different time zone.

Comments

• Hi Harold

What time zone are you in? (so that we can investigate this specifically)
    Also are the various machines in your setup all set to this time zone? I was just wondering if this could be caused by the base monitor and web server machines being on different timezones.

Thanks again
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
    Everthing is in (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

The blocked process was the only error I was seeing with + 5 hour time difference. The other errors I was seeing seem to be correct but I've only seen failed jobs, long query and this blocked process.

I do have the base monitor and webserver on the same machine.

Hi Harold

What time zone are you in? (so that we can investigate this specifically)
    Also are the various machines in your setup all set to this time zone? I was just wondering if this could be caused by the base monitor and web server machines being on different timezones.

Thanks again
    Chris
    Just wanted to let you know that the time must be reported in UTC time and not be using a offset. I just exported some analysis reports to a csv report and those times are in UTC too.
  • We store everything in UTC and then convert to localtime in the UI. This works well but it sounds like we've missed a date or two. I didn't get time to investigate this today but it's on my to do list for Monday.

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
    Thanks.

It looks like the alerts that are emailed, for the time raised is staying in UTC time too. Example: Time raised 11/20/2010 8:10:28 PM (UTC)
    We store everything in UTC and then convert to localtime in the UI. This works well but it sounds like we've missed a date or two. I didn't get time to investigate this today but it's on my to do list for Monday.

Thanks
    Chris
  • The emails do currently show UTC time, we specifically append the "(UTC)" text so that users are aware of this. However, the next version will modify the emails to display the timezone of the base monitor machine.

I'm having issues with the Blocked Process alert on your timezone although the alert details page actually errors when I attempt to view it. I've raised a bug report (ref: SRP-2568) that will hopefully get the alert working correctly for the next release.

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate