Alert Settings Configuration

hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
When I try to make a change in the alert settings and click apply changes I get a stack trace error. Anyone have any suggestion on trobleshooting it?

Stack Trace:
System.ArgumentNullException
Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Select[TSource,TResult](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 selector)
at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Areas.Configuration.Controllers.ConfigureAlertsController.EditAlertConfiguration(IEnumerable`1 configurationTargets, Nullable`1 inheritSettings, Boolean attemptSave, EditAlertConfigurationViewModel viewModel)
at lambda_method(ExecutionScope , ControllerBase , Object[] )
at System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatcher.Execute(ControllerBase controller, Object[] parameters)
at System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters)
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters)
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClassd.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__a()
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation)
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClassd.<>c__DisplayClassf.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__c()
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters)
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName)
at System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore()
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext)
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.System.Web.Mvc.IController.Execute(RequestContext requestContext)
at System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.<>c__DisplayClass8.<BeginProcessRequest>b__4()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.<>c__DisplayClass8`1.<BeginSynchronous>b__7(IAsyncResult _)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End()
at System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Comments

• Hi Harold

Apologies for this. Is this happening to all alerts or just a few? Does it happen only when you make changes to an alert or every time the Save Settings button is clicked?

It would also be interesting to know what browser you are using?

Many Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
    Hi Harold

Apologies for this. Is this happening to all alerts or just a few? Does it happen only when you make changes to an alert or every time the Save Settings button is clicked?

It would also be interesting to know what browser you are using?

Many Thanks
    Chris

It seems to be happenong on every alert that I try. I can make and add changes but when I click the apply chages to save the changes to does throws the error. I am using IE 8 and on Windows 7 32 bit.

Also if I go into the alert and make no changes and click apply it throws the error too.
  • Hi Harold

To debug this issue I think we need to view the log files. Would it be possible for you to zip up and send the log files at this location C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Monitor 2 (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Monitor 2 on pre-Vista OS) to chris.spencer@red-gate.com ?

Note that if you have a distributed setup the log files will be created on the different machines - we’d be interested in the base monitor ones as well as website.

Many Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
    They are on their way to you.

Thanks
    Hi Harold

To debug this issue I think we need to view the log files. Would it be possible for you to zip up and send the log files at this location C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Monitor 2 (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Monitor 2 on pre-Vista OS) to chris.spencer@red-gate.com ?

Note that if you have a distributed setup the log files will be created on the different machines - we’d be interested in the base monitor ones as well as website.

Many Thanks
    Chris
  • Thanks for the log files. I've had a look through them but unfortunately I can't see anything that would obviously cause this issue.

Is there any chance that you could test modifying alert settings on a browser other than Internet Explorer? This will help us to narrow down the cause of the issue. I am trying to reproduce this internally and seeing a similar issue on Internet Explorer (similar as in I can get it to error when saving - error message is different though)

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
    Chris,

I installed Firefox but seem to be having the same issue.

I went over the requirements and the only difference is that I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 as the data store. I would not think that was an issue but what do you all think?

Thanks for the log files. I've had a look through them but unfortunately I can't see anything that would obviously cause this issue.

Is there any chance that you could test modifying alert settings on a browser other than Internet Explorer? This will help us to narrow down the cause of the issue. I am trying to reproduce this internally and seeing a similar issue on Internet Explorer (similar as in I can get it to error when saving - error message is different though)

Thanks
    Chris
  • Okay thanks for that.

I'll investigate the SQL Server 2008 R2 angle.

In the meantime is it only the alert settings that error when saving? Do other configuration pages save correctly e.g. email, trace or data purge?

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
    I went through all the other configuration setting and everything else saves fine. It is only the alert settings that seem to be having the trouble.

As far as my environment:

I have the monitor and client installed on Window 7. I'm using the included Mono.WebServer2/0.2.0.0 and SQL 2008R2.

Okay thanks for that.

I'll investigate the SQL Server 2008 R2 angle.

In the meantime is it only the alert settings that error when saving? Do other configuration pages save correctly e.g. email, trace or data purge?

Thanks
    Chris
    I installed the Base monitor and web server on windows server 2008 R2 64bit and using SQL 2005 and the alert settings save fine there. Ie 8 works fine with it to.

So I'll keep trying to narrow down the root cause.

Update:
    I just reinstalled base monitor and web server on Windows 7 with SQL 2008r2 and alert settings still error.

I just reinstalled base monitor and web server on Windows 7 with SQL 2005 and alert settings still error.

I just reinstalled base monitor and IIS web server on Windows 7 with SQL 2008 R2 and alert settings still error.

Seems like it is narrowing down to an issue in Windows 7
  • That is really useful information thanks.

We've done a lot of testing on Windows 7 but mostly the 64 bit version. There could maybe be an issue with the 32 bit version or failing that some Windows 7 setting (UAC springs to mind). I'll investigate.

Thanks again
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • I'm having difficulties reproducing this error. I've tried a few Windows 7 machines (32/64 bit) but to no avail, which makes me think that there must be something specific to your Windows 7 machine.

Is it possible to double check this on another Windows 7 machine?

Or if this isn't possible then maybe try uninstalling / reinstalling .NET 3.5 to see if this makes any difference.

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
    I've had issues with this Windows 7 32bit before. Maybe it is related somehow. I have it installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 and that is working fine. So I'm fine on my end.
    Thanks
    I'm having difficulties reproducing this error. I've tried a few Windows 7 machines (32/64 bit) but to no avail, which makes me think that there must be something specific to your Windows 7 machine.

Is it possible to double check this on another Windows 7 machine?

Or if this isn't possible then maybe try uninstalling / reinstalling .NET 3.5 to see if this makes any difference.

Thanks
    Chris
  • Okay great. For our part, we'll keep our eyes open for similar issues from other users. With the fast uptake of Windows 7, it'd only be a matter of time if a bug did exist in this area.

Thanks again
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Hi there,

I realise this is an old post but I'm struggling with the same issue - every time I want to make any Alert configuration change, including resetting to Defaults, gives a 500 error and the logs give the same 'Value cannot be null' message. The web site is installed on Windows Server 2008 R2; the monitor database is installed on a separate machine, also running Windows Server 2008 R2, with SQL Server 2008 R2 (Standard). I have tried IE8 and Chrome; same issue with both.

Was a solution ever found? Did it relate to installing the database monitor on SQL 2008 R2? Might I be able to directly change the config in the database as a workaround?

Thanks,
    Jim
  • Hi there,

I realise this is an old post but I'm struggling with the same issue - every time I want to make any Alert configuration change, including resetting to Defaults, gives a 500 error and the logs give the same 'Value cannot be null' message. The web site is installed on Windows Server 2008 R2; the monitor database is installed on a separate machine, also running Windows Server 2008 R2, with SQL Server 2008 R2 (Standard). I have tried IE8 and Chrome; same issue with both.

Was a solution ever found? Did it relate to installing the database monitor on SQL 2008 R2? Might I be able to directly change the config in the database as a workaround?

Thanks,
    Jim

Hi Jim

Apologies for the late reply. We never found a solution to this issue no. Reading through the post again it looks like it could be an issue with 32 bit Windows 7 rather than SQL 2008 R2 but we can't be sure of this of course.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate