Line-level timings in Silverlight

Hi,

I know that line-level timings in Silverlight are currently not supported,
but are there plans to support them in future releases?

Kind regards,
Willem van Rumpt
If the software doesn't have to work, you can always meet any other requirement.
- Gerard Weinberg

Comments

• While this is in consideration for a future version. I wouldn't expect it any time in version 6. Sorry.
  • Thanks for the update, and, no problem.

It's "workaroundable" of course, but it's more labour intensive and time consuming without the line-level timings. Any minor upgrade containing it would be super, but if it's there in v7, I would be more than happy too.

Kind regards,
    Willem van Rumpt
    If the software doesn't have to work, you can always meet any other requirement.
    - Gerard Weinberg
  • Just noticed today that Performance Profiler v7 appeared on the roadmap in Q4 (or maybe it's been there all along, and I just missed it).

Any chance line level timings are going to make it in that release? According to the roadmap, it'll be focussed on Silverlight anyway :)

If you aren't sure yet, I'd like to make a desperate plea to do so. Silverlight is one of those environments where even little optimizations can make a difference.

As long as you do fancy looking my-menu-is-a-carousel or mediaplayer applications, you're ok. But when utilizing Silverlight for business applications (of which is more than capable), you can hugely benefit from little, to even minor optimizations. Even down to the level of using floats instead of doubles (in all fairness though: the application at hand was an extreme example).

Point is: Mini, and micro optimizations in Silverlight are beneficial, but they're very hard to track down, with only method level timings. Silverlight is still one of those environments where achieving the desired result can be quite a battle, if you want something more than your run-of-the-mill application. Any tool that aids in that battle is welcomed.
    - Gerard Weinberg
  • I would like to second this. I am evaluating the RedGate profiler against the VS2010 profiler for Silverlight. VS2010 has line-level profiling and it was able to point to, quite literally, 2 lines (simple property access) that were consuming 20% of the run time on one of our controls. Simple code refactoring cleared it right up. The RedGate profiler would not have helped here.

My gut feeling is that Silverlight performance is very sensitive to seemingly trivial calls. Line level profiling is absolutely essential.
  • You may want to vote for the feature here: http://antsperformanceprofiler.uservoice.com/forums/131079-ants-performance-profiler-feature-suggestions

Although it's not clear whether Red Gate is actually doing something with it (there's only one comment, and one accepted proposal, and that's the one that was already pretty much done in version 6.3), it never hurts to give it a try :)
    - Gerard Weinberg