Options

Licensing Errors!

Dinny7478Dinny7478 Posts: 3
I am working on an application that uses the SQL Data Compare SDK but have faced problems in trying to licence the dll's.

The dlls were originally installed but had expired before we got round to obtaining a licence key. We now have a licence key and have created the licenses.licx file which contains the following entries:

RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine
RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.ComparisonSession, RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine

However when the application is built the nag screen appears stating the the trial has expired. There is an option to activate it but clicking on this results in the same nag screen appearing again. Again clicking on the Activate command appears to do nothing.

No screen appears where we can enter a serial number, instead we are seeing the following build errors:

Exception occurred creating type 'RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine, Version=8.0.0.309, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Licensing.Client.resources, Version=2.7.0.6, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. Thesystem cannot find the file specified.

Exception occurred creating type 'RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.ComparisonSession, RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine, Version=7.1.0.230, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Licensing.Client.resources, Version=2.7.0.3, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any Ideas? We are truly stuck now!

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Dinny,

We have seen this issue about 5 times now, but are unable to find the cause. Visual Studio is acting just plain crazy because the .resources.dll file does not exist and is not part of the SQL Comparison SDK.

Here are some things that have worked to get around it:
    • Locate the SDK samples on disk (v8 comes with samples) or create a new VS project with a very minimal bit of code that refers to the RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine and create licenses.licx in that and build it.
    • Use the Red Gate Machine Hash Utility and activate the SDK on the command-line (see the readme in the ZIP for the usage).

Hopefully one of these will get the SDK activated so you can use it.
  • Options
    Trying the Machine Hashutility to try and get the activation sorted but have ran into another problem.

Using the command:
    MachineHashUtility /MACHINEHASH:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /ACTIVATE /PRODUCT:"SQL Toolkit" /SERIALNUMBER:XXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXX
    /MAJORVERSION:8 /TESTONLY

Generates the Request
    <activationrequest>
    <version>3</version>
    <machinehash>XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX</machinehash>
    <productcode>31</productcode>
    <majorversion>8</majorversion>
    <minorversion>0</minorversion>
    <serialnumber>XXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXX</serialnumber>
    <session>4b8f3f82-cf59-4b82-9fb1-be02786df477</session>
    <locale>en-US</locale>
    </activationrequest>

We get the following response:
    Server said: <Error>
    <Title>This serial number is not for PST Importer 2010</Title>
    <ManualButton show="false"/>
    <Description><p>This serial number is for SQL Toolkit 8.<br/>
    <br/>
    Check the serial number that was sent to you with your invoice.<br/>
    <br/>
    If you cannot find your serial number, you can retrieve it at:<br/>
    <a href="http://www.red-gate.com/myserialnumbers">http://www.red-gate.co
    m/myserialnumbers</a><br/>
    </p>
    </Description>
    <Help>http://www.red-gate.com/Products/Licensing/v_2/WrongProduct</Help&gt;
    </Error>

Am i using the correct Product Name?
  • Options
    The product name had been changed to "SQL Comparison SDK" a few years ago. If you enter it correctly, the "productcode" in the request should be "8".
  • Options
    Hello,

I just purchased the SQL Compare SDK and am having the same licensing issue described here. Using Visual Studio 2010. I tried the MachineHash utility and it shows that my product is activated now but I still get a nag message that states that I only have two days left to activate.
  • Options
    Hello,

If you get the nag requester when you deploy the app, then it did not licence correctly during the build. Try re-creating licenses.licx again.