SQL Backup or Backup + Hyperbac or ?

colemancoleman Posts: 23
edited November 29, 2010 1:21PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have purchased the DBA bundle, but I'm unclear on some of how I should best use the various tools.

We originally purchased SQL Backup for it's compressed backup features. It sounds to me like Hyperback transparently provides compression to the normal SQL backup operation.

That being the case, should I be using SQL Backup with compression, or a normal backup with Hyperbac handling the compression?

In particular, I'd like to make optimal use of Virtual Restore, which it sounds like works best if a normal backup + hyperbac is used, rather then SQL Backup with compression turned on.

Or am I totally not understanding this at all? When would I want to use SQL Backup 6 over the built in backup with Hyperbac?

Thanks!

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    See this page for a comparison of the 2 products.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks, but outside of if I'm in a network scenario, that really doesn't help one decide when they would want to apply one solution over the other. And doesn't help answer my specific question of if one approach is better to use with Virtual Restore.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    With regard to Virtual Restore, I believe the plan is for it to eventually support all backups created by SQL Backup. At the moment, I think it supports regular SQL Backup backups, but not encrypted SQL Backup backups.

With regards to the choice of Hyperbac or SQL Backup, it depends on your needs. If you want a solution that does not require you to change your current maintenance scripts, or if the need to have a industry standard compressed file format is critical, then you should use Hyperbac.

If the additional backup and restore features offered by SQL Backup is useful to you (see the link in my sig for details on some of them), then SQL Backup would be a more suitable fit.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi,

I can confirm we’re currently working on adding support for encrypted SQL Backup files to SQL Virtual Restore; so SQL Virtual Restore will work with any backup made with SQL Backup v6, as well as backups made with SQL HyperBac, and native SQL Server (compressed or uncompressed).

In addition to the comparison page that petey referenced above, there’s a more details list of functional differences here.

Hope this helps.

Colin.
  • Are there any long term plans to merge the two products into one?