Options

Can't restore database from SQB file located on mapped drive

jdholmanjdholman Posts: 4 New member
edited December 28, 2013 1:53AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello:

I am on Red Gate Backup version 6.4.0.56 on SQL 2005. I have my backup files on a hiddne network share that I have access to via a mapped drive. I am using the same account to authenticate onto the server and on the Red Gate Backup service.

When I try to restore a database by browsing for a backup file, I can browse and select the file, but the file shows up in the file selection box in the Restore Wizard with a red "X" box in the "OK" field. The error there says something like:
X:\Roswell\FULL_(local)_DYNAMICS_20100924_210032.sqb does not exist
In the filename box the filename itself is prefixed with "unavailable"

If I cope the file to a local drive, I can restore just fine, but this isn't an option for the larger backup files.

Running this command:
EXEC master..sqbdir '\\de08w2767\enrafgpbak$'

Gives me this error:
Msg 1, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
<SQBERROR>782

What can I do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    jdholmanjdholman Posts: 4 New member
    I figured this out and am posting what worked for me.

When you click "Add Files", you must click "Add Server" and enter the remote server name and browse the files that way. It isn't enough that you have permission and have mapped a drive letter. You need to add the server, browse the server in the tree, and select the file in the right panel.

Jim
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for post into the forum.

SQL Backup does not support mapped drives.

When dealing with network shares, you need to specify a unc path to the share. Also the startup account given to the SQL Backup Agent service needs security permissions to the share.

Excellent news that you were able to find a solution.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Thank you for post into the forum.

SQL Backup does not support mapped drives.

When dealing with network shares, you need to specify a unc path to the share. Also the startup account given to the SQL Backup Agent service needs security permissions to the share.

Excellent news that you were able to find a solution.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Hi Eddie
    would you please Give me the Exact Steps to do this?

i want to Restore from a network Location which the user who is registered as startup in SQL backup Agent has Full Control on That Network Share Location and i can do every thing on that folder using Windows explorer and these Two Client and Server are Seeing Each other Very well but they are on different V-Lans but Same Domain.
    I think i've checked Every Thing any any more Comments from you would be appritiated
    Thanks In Advance...