Configure mirrored drive for backup with a different passwor

santoshssantoshs Posts: 3
edited September 28, 2010 9:11AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello,
Our network backup share does not allow to assign permission to the account used by sql agent. We need to configure a different username/password to access this network share. Could you tell if this possible?

Thanks,
Santosh

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

As the backup process is controlled by the SQL Backup Agent service, the startup account will require security permissions to the network share, so you can backup directly to the share or copy to the share.

There is no mechanism within SQL Backup to specify a different username / password for access to the network share, so my answer is no to your question.

However, if you wish to copy the backup file created to the network share, there maybe a solution or workaround.

Using the free unsupported Copy Tool which can be downloaded using this LINK.

You could then create a .bat file with the required copy tool parameters, scheduled using the Windows Scheduler configured with a different username / password to copy the backup file to the network share outside of the SQL Backup process.

Using the FILELIST parameter, you can maintain a list of the backup files that have already been successfully copied, preventing duplicates being created or the copying process failing as the file already exists on the network share.

I recommend that you read through the Readme file contained within the zip file and test before introducing the copy tool utility to your production environment.

IMPORTANT:
    USE THE COPY TOOL APPLICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK, THE TOOL IS NOT SUPPORTED. THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hello Eddie,
    Thanks for you quick reply. I will give it a shot.

Thanks,
    Santosh