Options

Overriding project server and database via command line

david.duffettdavid.duffett Posts: 30
edited August 17, 2010 4:41AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I am setting up a continuous integration process, which will synchronise my test database with any changes made to SubVersion (via SQL Source Control).

I've created SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare projects with settings and tables/columns selected to my liking for this process, however these projects are tied to specific servers and databases.

Is there a way of using these projects (as it's the settings and mappings that are important) via the command line and being able to override the actual server and databases used in the comparison?

That way I don't have to have separate projects files for each physical server, just one that defines the structure that I can use on any server via the command line.

NOTE: I tried using the "/project" switch with "/server1", "/database1", etc and it still uses the server and database specified in the project file.

Comments

• Options
    It seems that the validation code runs before the override code... (raised bug SC-4763)

If you create a dummy scripts folder (maybe of a blank database?) and use that instead of using a non-existent folder, it might just work. Could you try that?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    We possibly have a fix for this. Please try the build linked from:

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... hp?t=11077

Thanks,

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I'm afraid this still doesn't seem to have fixed it:

[09:40:11]: SQL Compare Command Line V8.2.1.62
    [09:40:11]: ==============================================================================
    [09:40:11]: Copyright ¸ Red Gate Software Ltd 1999-2009
    [09:40:12]: Serial Number: 512-001-127930-C3ED
    [09:40:12]: Registering data sources
    [09:40:19]: Error: Ignored statement found in file
    [09:40:19]: C:\TeamCity.BuildAgent\work\32ff79125c1021f6\trunk\Data\dbo.tbAvailability_Data.sql at line 1

... many more "ignored statement" errors followed...