Changing Encryption Password on Stored Backups

LehighDBALehighDBA Posts: 24
edited August 13, 2010 10:04AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Is there a tool available, similar to the converter or otherwise, that will unencrypt and then re-encrypt the backup without the need to restore the datbase and back it up again? (Obviously assuming I know the current password.)

Often I have to send backup files to vendors but would rather not give them the password(s) we use to encrypt our backups - but want to send the backup to them encrypted with a different password.

Right now I have to restore the database to a development server and then re-back up the database using a different encryption password in order to accomplish this.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately the answer to your question is no.

There is no tool for changing the encryption password.

The only options open to you, is the one that you are performing now:
    Right now I have to restore the database to a development server and then re-back up the database using a different encryption password in order to accomplish this.

Or perform another encrypted backup of the production database using a different password.

Sorry, many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • If you're absolutely nuts, you could dynamically generate random passwords for each backup and save them to password table. This way any backup can be released without compromising the others.

Restore scripts would naturally need to perform a lookup to the password table.
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software