Server options not being retained after Apply.

dhtuckerdhtucker Posts: 41 Bronze 3
edited August 12, 2010 10:25AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Running 6.4.0.1014 on 64-bit WinSrv2008...

Server options default to File Name Format:

<TYPE>_<INSTANCE>_<DATABASE>_<DATETIME yyyymmdd_hhnnss>

I've set all my other servers to:

<SERVER>_<DATABASE>_<TYPE>_<DATETIME yyyymmddhhnn>

because it mimics our prior backups generated by BrandX. However, once I click Apply and refresh the connection, this setting returns to its default value.

Makes me wonder what other settings of mine that it's silently ignoring... :)
Doug Tucker
Database Administrator / Software Engineer
Nelnet Business Solutions - FACTS-SIS

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

I suspect that the reported issue maybe a permissions problem to the SQL Backup registry keys.

On the registered server navigate to the following regsistry directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal

Check the permissions and ensure that the SQL Backup Agent service log-in account has modify or Full control permissions to he above registry folder to modify and add keys to the above folder.

When you modify any server options (Right Click Registred Server ->Select options) registry keys are added and set here.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • dhtuckerdhtucker Posts: 41 Bronze 3
    On this server, there is no registry directory at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\Downloads\SQL Backup there is only a directory named 6

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Red Gate\SQL Backup there is a directory named BackupSettingsGlobal, and beneath it a directory (LOCAL), but only a small subset of the keys I expected to see defined there actually exist, BackupFileName being among the list of those missing.
    Doug Tucker
    Thank you for your reply.

Strange, I thought we moved the BackupSettings and BackupSettingsGlobal from the Wow6432node path to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SQL Backup\ path to work around the MCS registry replication errors reported to us in earlier versions of SQL Backup V6.

What ever path is being used in your environment, the account given to the SQL Backup Agent Service needs security permissions to the SQL Backup registry folders.

When SQL Backup is first installed, the BackupSettingsGlobal only contains 5 registry keys. The first time you are successful in editing the server options, the remaining registry keys are then created including the BackupFileName key.

Unfortunately were you edit the Server Options via the GUI, it does not feedback if the update was successful or not. I will check our bug tracking system to see if there is already a Bug Report in place and if not submit a bug report / feature enhancement to include feedback.

Another alternative is to create the key manually:
    key name = BackupFileName, type = REG_SZ, data or value = <SERVER>_<DATABASE>_<TYPE>_<DATETIME yyyymmddhhnn>

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • dhtuckerdhtucker Posts: 41 Bronze 3
    You're right, the login account used by SQL Backup Agent didn't have rights to write to the Registry. Once I changed that (and restarted the service), applying those changes created the registry hierarchy under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SQL Backup\ (and not the Wow6421node tree).

Yes, it'd be nice if the GUI would complain on failure (save someone else the headscratching) :-) but pretty low on the urgency scale.
    Doug Tucker
    Thank you for your reply and excellent news that the advice offered has resolved the problem.

I have updated the following Bug report, SB-3003, to warn users when the Server Options have not updated the registry settings.

Hopefully this bug will be fixed in a future release of SQL Backup.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd