Suggestion: Commenting on a difference between the objects

Our QA n Dev teams use this tool and I would like to request a feature where the guys put a comment on any differences between the objects.

Comments

• Sounds like an interesting idea. Could you describe the rationale behind this? Where would you want this data to be saved?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • In our case - there are custom scripts for upgrading a database and our QA guys use this tool to find any schema differences.

Usually they send us Interactive HTML export for any differences and as there is no way to comment, so we are forced to use excel.

This feature would save lot of time and also the project file will act as proof for any uncommentted differences going into production.

Ideally I would suggest - adding another column in the grid for comment (next to the owner) and for saving them - it can still use the existing xml.
  • I see. So you'd be saving the comments in order for them to appear in the Interactive HTML report?

Once SQL Compare is closed, would these comments persist?

I'd like to hear from anyone else who might have a similar scenario. Please post to this thread!

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • IMHO - Dont see a reason to include them in Interactive HTML as we would be using the project file instead!

They have to be persisted as mentioned in previous reply, I think project XML file can be used for the same.
  • If they are persisted in the project file, and a new comparison is run, would it wipe the old results if new object differences are found?

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software