User-Deinffed Aliases & Snippets - Where are they

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
edited October 27, 2010 4:35PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
ANyone know where exactly SQL Prompt stores the User-Defined Aliases and code Snippets that you can specify via the AUto Insert & Snippets Tabs in SQL Prompts OPTIONS dialog?

I neeed to setup over a thousand of the User-Defined Aliases and I'll be darned if I'm going to do it one at a time thru the interface. There's no bulk load feature in SQL Prompt that I can to setup a large number of these. I know they got to be stored somewhwere in the regiostry or some file, I just need to find where and maybe I can edit the thing directly.

This seems like it should be a no brainer ability in SQL Prompt but its not and I can't determine where its storing these things.

Comments

• EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    FYI - SQL Prompt stores User-Deifned aliases along with a few other custmizations in the xml file EngineOptions.xml which can be found (On a Windows Vista computer) at

C:\Users\John.Smith\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3

Where the 'John.Smith' is your name/Login Name.

In it is a section labled UserDefinedAliases that has 4 lines of info for each defined User-Defined Alias. I am going to test editing this with just a few items and if it works then I will use a query (in T-SQL) that pulls Table Names and aliases from a table we have setup to store this. Using concactenated string combined with CHAR(10) (for CrLf) and output to Text will produce a complete section of UserDefinedAlias items.

This section ahs at the very start a line that lists the total number of UDFs listed and so it will need to be updated to account for the new items

Hopefully this will work and save me literally hours of time.
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your post and suggestion ED.

Kindly let us know if you have any issues or questions regarding the product,I'll like to help.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    Thanks for your post and suggestion ED.

Kindly let us know if you have any issues or questions regarding the product,I'll like to help.

Anu, If I wanted to suggest as a new feature in a future version the ability to more easily edit the info in this file how would I go about doing so? I imagine I'm not teh first person who wished to Bulk Load User-Defined Aliases and the like in SQL Prompt.

Thanks