Options

Not impressed

andrewhopkinsonandrewhopkinson Posts: 4
edited August 2, 2010 12:34PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
As cool as this product is, it has major problems. Namely:

1) The ignore identity doesn't seem to work
2) There is no way (as far as i can tell) to ignore ROWGUID columns
3) Constraints are dropped for tables but not recreated
4) There is no option for using ALTER TABLE commands instead of dropping and recreating the table (BIG problem)
5) When scripting synchronization, there should be an option to script tables and their dependencies seperately because otherwise you get all kinds of errors on views trying to add columns that don't exist yet.

Is there something I am missing with this product? What am I doing wrong?

:(

Comments

• Options
    1) The ignore identity doesn't seem to work
    2) There is no way (as far as i can tell) to ignore ROWGUID columns

see http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... hp?t=11539
    3) Constraints are dropped for tables but not recreated

Do you have an example of this? Any constraints that need to be dropped should be added again. We can open a support ticket for this if you would like to work on it privately.
    4) There is no option for using ALTER TABLE commands instead of dropping and recreating the table (BIG problem)

SQL Compare will try to ALTER when it can, but there are certain situations where it will need to rebuild. Here is a KB article that discusses the reasons.
    5) When scripting synchronization, there should be an option to script tables and their dependencies seperately because otherwise you get all kinds of errors on views trying to add columns that don't exist yet.

SQL Compare will build the script in dependency order and even try to break circular dependencies. However, there are circular dependencies that it can't break which might result in an invalid script. If you would like to investigate the dependency issue you're having, we can open a support ticket for you.

I hope this helps.
    Chris