Options

Multiple Stores within one mailbox?

cstanlakecstanlake Posts: 6
edited July 27, 2010 12:22PM in Exchange Server Archiver
Hi,

I've done some testing on this and am pretty sure I know the answer but just wanted to check!

Can a user have more than one active store accessible to their mailbox at any one time?

e.g. archive mail from 2009 to store for 2009 and then change this to archive to a store for 2010

Does this make sense?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it does make sense, and if I've understood the request correctly, yes, it's absolutely possible.

At a given time, you can only archive messages into one store for a given user - so whatever rule applies to that user can only have a single destination store.

But if you've previously archived messages into a different store, they are still accessible without any problems. So if, last year, you'd had a rule which archived messages to "Store 2009", then at the start of this year, you changed the rule to "Store 2010", all the messages in both stores are still accessible and searchable.

Compressing the timescales, something we've seen in a lot of deployments is people running a rule to match messages over (say) 5 years old first, going to one store, then changing the rule to 3 years and another store, and so on, then getting into a more normal routine once they've "caught up" with the backlog of old messages.

I hope that helps - let me know if I've misunderstood!

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Got it in one, I thought that's what the process would be.

I presume that the mail that is already archived does not get moved between stores?

Could it be a possible feature of a future release to select date ranges?
  • Options
    cstanlake wrote:
    I presume that the mail that is already archived does not get moved between stores?

Correct.
    Could it be a possible feature of a future release to select date ranges?

I've created an enhancement request (ESA-3123) for this; it's certainly something we'll consider, though of course the more people who ask for it, the more likely it is to happen!

Many thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate