Saving Database Snapshots

Jason HannasJason Hannas Posts: 41 Bronze 3
I've just upgraded from SQL Compare 5 and noticed that I can no longer save either side of the completed comparison as a snapshot, but instead must create a new snapshot, which of course runs through the entire operation again.

This was a time saving feature for me and I'd like to see that return in a future release.

Thanks.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jason,

Thanks a lot for your feedback! SQL Compare 5 used to let you save an image of the schema for the databases that you just compared to snapshot files without having to "register" the database again.

In the latest version, you have to think through things a bit more and create the snapshots using File->Create Snapshot and then compare the two saved snapshots. Of course, this is not ideal as when you go to synchronize, you have to re-register (at least) the target database to update through the program or just output the script to SSMS and then run it from there.

I'll go back and see if there is a legitimate reason why this was taken away from SQL Compare.
  • I'd like to add my vote for the ability to save a snapshot of either side from the main compare window.
  • Just to give you a couple of options, remember that we have a free snapshot tool, SQL Snapper, that you can use independently of SQL Compare.

You can also cancel the Project Configuration dialog and access the snapshot menuitem without having to do a comparison first.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the additional information. Mostly I dislike having to go to another window and re-type the server and database name when I'm looking right at it on the compare screen. Especially if I decide I want a snapshot of both sides.