Options

Log Shipping Question

asawyer13asawyer13 Posts: 2
edited August 31, 2005 10:53PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm just getting ready to start the trial on sql backup, but I have a question. I don't think it's been answered here before but hopefully it's not a dumb question.
I currently have a local database and a remote one. Right now some data is changed in both, but I'm working on getting to where data is only changed on the remote db and I want to use your psuedo log shipping technique to get the remote database in sync with the local one.
My question is:
I'm assuming that if by some chance some local data was changed, that would screw things up, so is there some way to make the local db read only, but still allow the psuedo log shipping technique to work??
Thanks,
Alan Sawyer

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    To run log shipping, the 'backup' database has to be in a 'restoring mode', of which there are two.

RESTORE LOG .... WITH NORECOVERY

will make the 'backup' database inaccessible for reads and writes, and will only accept further restores.

RESTORE LOG ... WITH STANDBY = 'xxx'

will make the 'backup' database read-only, and still able to accept further restores.

Refer to SQL Server Books Online, RESTORE syntax.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8