SQL Backup - Input string was not in a correct format.

GPGP Posts: 3
edited June 25, 2010 4:32AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have been having a horrible time getting log shipping to work consistently using the latest version of SQL Backup. We're running SQL Server 2008 Standard on Windows Server 2008 R2, and log shipping seems to work fine, as long as we don't open the SQL Backup GUI! Typically within one minute of opening the GUI, the registered server in the GUI will display a red x - and with the following error:
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at p.a(Server )
   at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.Server.m()
   at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.Server.RefreshServerInformation()

There are also corresponding event log errors that get thrown at this point:

From the System log:
The SQL Backup Agent service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 7 time(s).

From the Application log:
Faulting application name: SQBCoreService.exe, version: 6.4.0.56, time stamp: 0x2a425e19
Faulting module name: inetmib1.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4a5bda0b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x73db7cd6
Faulting process id: 0x10a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cac172e06f98f7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(LOCAL)\SQBCoreService.exe
Faulting module path: inetmib1.dll
Report Id: 22c8c338-2d66-11df-a60b-0024e85d1eec

We have been trying to work with support on our other issues as well as this one, and this is a last ditch effort to see if there is anybody else who may have ideas on what may be happening here. I've been using, buying and strongly recommending Red Gate products for years, and I'm hoping that this issue isn't going to force us to go with another product.

Please help!

Comments

• Just as an update to this, we are working with the customer on a support call, however the issue appears to be so far that SP1 was not applied to SQL Server 2008 when it was running on a Win2K8R2 setup.

If there is any further update on this error, we will post it up here once we know the issue and the solution.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • As further clarification, the first attempts at setting up log shipping were done prior to SQL 2008 SP1 was applied. Even after applying SQL 2008 SP1, reinstalling SQL Backup, and setting up log shipping again, these errors continued. Just in case anybody sees this in the future and thinks they can massage everything back into place - save yourself some time and start over from scratch.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I've been working with another customer and my impression is an SNMP agent or manager trying to query the state of the SQL Backup Agent service when there is a "broken" MIB or SNMP installation.

SQL Backup never loads inetmib1.dll. This is part of Microsoft's SNMP package (RFC1156) and is injected into our process somehow by SNMP. I'd recommend disabling any SNMP Agent services or managers and see if a problem still occurs.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Apparently SQBCoreService crashes when SNMP is enabled and SQL Backup Agent is configured to run under an account that is a member of the "Domain Admins" group. There is no reasonable explanation for this; I am still looking into it.