Installing SQL Backup on a Virtual Machine

deweigenddeweigend Posts: 20
edited August 31, 2005 9:31AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am attempting to install SQL Backup on a Windows Virtual machine. the OS is Windows 2003 Standard Edition. the error message I get is...

Error 1721: There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

The install ends and backs everything out. Can SQL Backup be installed on a virtual machine? What is the work around for this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Don Weigend
Wonderbox Technologies, LLC

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Don,

There is no problem running SQL Backup on a virtual machine. We test this software thoroughly against Microsoft Virtual Server and VMWare workstation, so if there was an interaction problem with the software, we would definitely know about it.

More than likely it's a problem in RedGate's licensing tool that runs during the installation. And more often than not this happens because a cryptographic machine key could not be created or accessed. On Windows 2000/2003/XP, you'll want to check your rights to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto folder to make sure you can read and write to the RSA MachineKeys folder.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Did you try installing another MSI package?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hello Don,

There is no problem running SQL Backup on a virtual machine. We test this software thoroughly against Microsoft Virtual Server and VMWare workstation, so if there was an interaction problem with the software, we would definitely know about it.

More than likely it's a problem in RedGate's licensing tool that runs during the installation. And more often than not this happens because a cryptographic machine key could not be created or accessed. On Windows 2000/2003/XP, you'll want to check your rights to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto folder to make sure you can read and write to the RSA MachineKeys folder.

I am using an account that is part of the local administrators group and I checked the rights for the Crypto folder as suggested and it looks proper to me but I still get a failure on the install. I also tried changing the rights to this folder so everyone had full control but that did not help either. Any other ideas?
    Can you please try logging the install?

You can pass arguments to the installation like this:
    SQLBackupSetup /V"/l*v c:\InstallLog.txt"

This will create a text file that audits all of the actions of the installer and will show which program 'couldn't be run' as part of the install.
  • Can you please try logging the install?

You can pass arguments to the installation like this:
    SQLBackupSetup /V"/l*v c:\InstallLog.txt"

This will create a text file that audits all of the actions of the installer and will show which program 'couldn't be run' as part of the install.

Are you sure about the syntax for the switches. I get an error when I attempt to use them. I tried this using the command line as well as in the properties of the setup file.
    Yes... /V tells the self extracting installer to pass the following string to SQLBackupSetup.msi. The quoted string is one accepted by MSIExec.exe when the MSI runs.

If you have a log file path with spaces in it, you'll need to delimit those with quotes like this:
    SQLBackupSetup.exe /V"/l*v \"c:\documents and settings\log.txt\""
  • I have the log file recorded during the install. How can I ship this to you? I realy don't a way to attach files from this forum.

Don Weigend
    Hi Don,

Fantastic! Can you please attach that as a test file and send it to support@red-gate.com?

Thanks.
  • I sent the log file to the email address you provided. The file is called log.txt.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Don Weigend
    Wonderbox Technologies, LLC