SQL Object Recovery Sloooooowwwwww

richardrichard Posts: 19
edited July 2, 2010 1:13AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi has anyone managed to use this product successfuly on a relatively large database backup.

I am trying it on a 60gig backup file, and having kicked it off at around 9am this morning, it is now only 66% through the parsing stage (so 5 hours and counting). The previous day I did a restore of the whole database (+- 300gig) and that took 3 hours in total. (my fellow dba did try this a few days ago on a similar sized backup but gave up after waiting a few hours and it only getting about 20% of the way thru parse)

The backup file is on a Storage server so I am doing it across the network.

I have now installed SQL Backup Pro on the actual storage server and am trying to run it local (with a remote destination db), and it has only just hit 2% after 20 or so mins, so not much better

Any suggestions on how to make this product usable, or is it only good enough for small dbs? It does seem crazy to take that long just to bring up a list of available tables in the db!

Comments

• RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Hi Richard,

Currently SQL OLR isn't optimized for large databases, which explains in part the reduced performance you're experiencing. The type of compression used and disk speed can also affect the time taken to parse a backup file for objects.

To address the needs of customers in your position we have been developing a novel approach to object recovery, to be released in a few months.

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • RedGate sucks wind when performing restore over the network. I wish it was optimized more for network backup as well as restore. Anyway, I figured I'd chime in as I sit hear and wait for an object level recovery with a moderately compressed 16 GB backup file. (not over the network)
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    stedun wrote:
    RedGate sucks wind when performing restore over the network. I wish it was optimized more for network backup as well as restore.
    I'll like to investigate this further. Could you please provide some numbers for comparison e.g.

- how long does it take to copy a 100 MB file from your SQL Server box to the remote share
    - what's the backup throughput rate when SQL Backup creates a backup file to that same remote share
    - how long does it take to copy a 100 MB file from the remote share to your SQL Server box
    - what's the restore throughput rate when SQL Backup restores a backup from a file located on the same remote share

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8