Options

Cannot perform any comparisons, "Access Denied"

philipstreetphilipstreet Posts: 5
edited June 21, 2010 4:53AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
SQL Server 2005 with SP3
SQL Compare 8.2.0.16

Whenever I try to do a comparison the process immediately aborts at the first task "Registering data sources - <server>.<database>-reading users" with message Access Denied.

I am using a Windows authentication connection as my account is a Sysadmin - I can use SQL Mmanagement Studio no problem.

Any ideas / questions / suggestions?

Many thanks,

Phil

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks fore your post.

SQL Server doesn't exist or access is denied

SQL Compare cannot connect to the SQL Server. Try the following to rectify the problem:

1. Verify that the SQL Server is online and that the SQL Server name is listed in your LAN by pinging the address.

For example, open a command prompt and run the following command:

ping <ServerName>

where ServerName is the name of your SQL Server.

If the SQL Server is online, verify that you are connecting to the correct port.

If your SQL Server is not running on the default port (1433), type the following in Server on the Project Configuration dialog box:

<ServerName>,<Port>

where ServerName is the name of your SQL Server and Port is the number of the port on which your SQL Server is running.

2. If you are sure that you are connecting to the correct port, force SQL Compare to use the TCP network protocol when it makes the connection, by typing the following in Server on the Project Configuration dialog box:

As specified in this Knowledge based article: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... QL_Compare\knowledgebase\SC_CommonErrorMessages.htm&p=SQL%20Compare

Kindly let us know if this fixes the issue?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options

SQL Compare cannot connect to the SQL Server. Try the following to rectify the problem:

1. Verify that the SQL Server is online and that the SQL Server name is listed in your LAN by pinging the address.

ping <ServerName>

If the SQL Server is online, verify that you are connecting to the correct port.

If your SQL Server is not running on the default port (1433), type the following in Server on the Project Configuration dialog box:

<ServerName>,<Port>

where ServerName is the name of your SQL Server and Port is the number of the port on which your SQL Server is running.

2. If you are sure that you are connecting to the correct port, force SQL Compare to use the TCP network protocol when it makes the connection, by typing the following in Server on the Project Configuration dialog box:

As specified in this Knowledge based article: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... QL_Compare\knowledgebase\SC_CommonErrorMessages.htm&p=SQL%20Compare

Hello

I can ping the server.

I can connect to that port, e.g. telnet <servername> 1433

I have tried forcing TCP as per article but it still does not work.

What next? Is there any sort of debug / trace facility with SQLCompare to see what's happening internally?

Thanks

Phil
  • Options

ping <ServerName>

<ServerName>,<Port>

Hello

I can ping the server.

What next? Is there any sort of debug / trace facility with SQLCompare to see what's happening internally?

Thanks

Phil

UPDATE : I changed my connection to use SQL security - I created a temp sa login - and the comparison works without any problems.

So the issue sees to be with the fact I'm using Windows authentication; it's an implicit login as it's done via group membership.

Does that help?

Phil
  • Options

ping <ServerName>

<ServerName>,<Port>

Hello

I can ping the server.

Thanks

Phil

UPDATE : I changed my connection to use SQL security - I created a temp sa login - and the comparison works without any problems.

So the issue sees to be with the fact I'm using Windows authentication; it's an implicit login as it's done via group membership.

Does that help?

Phil

UPDATE2 : It also works if I grant explicit sa permissions to my Windows account, so it's definitely to do with implicit group membership permissions.