VDI error 1000: Failed to create virtual device

magomago Posts: 36
edited August 30, 2005 6:18AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Dears:

I found if I want to backup multiple databases at the same time, it will show "VDI error 1000: Failed to create virtual device".
Here is my sql command :
master..sqlbackup ' -SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [TSR_20050719] TO DISK = ''d:\sqlbackup\Full_(local)_TSR_20050719_200508291517.sqb'' WITH NAME = ''Database (TSR_20050719), 200508291517'', ERASEFILES = 2 " -U xxx -P xxx'

master..sqlbackup ' -SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [TSR_20050719] FROM DISK = ''\\clt-dha1\sqlbackup\Full_(local)_TSR_20050719_200508291517.sqb'' WITH STANDBY = ''c:\sqlbackup\UNDO_TSR_20050719_200508291517.DAT'', MOVE ''TSR_Data'' TO ''c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\TSR_20050719.mdf'', MOVE ''TSR_Log'' TO ''c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\TSR_20050719_log.ldf'' " -U xxx -P xxx'

But if I run sql one by one in TSQL, it works fine. I guess it wouldn't permission error. Could your program support concurrent backup ?

Regards,
Mago

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    One command is to backup, while the other is to restore, both against the same database [TSR_20050719]. This can't be performed concurrently.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • petey wrote:
    One command is to backup, while the other is to restore, both against the same database [TSR_20050719]. This can't be performed concurrently.

Dears:

Sorry to make you confuse.

I didn't mean to backup and to restore at the same time.
    I mean if I want to backup multiple database at the same time using extended stored procedure, it shows error message. I don't know if it support concurrent backup using command line(sqlbackup.exe) at the same time. But in my test, it doesn't work using extended stored procedure.
    (Please ignore restore sql, it's no matter with the problem. The other database backup sql is alike as the backup sql, but has different database name.)

Regards,
    Mago
  • Dears:

I set "Sleep" after run the script. It won't appear the error message again. So it's okay now.
    Thanks a lot. :)
    ==========================================
    For Each DBName In DBList.Items
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.Run "sync.wsf " & DBName, 2, 0
    WScript.Sleep 60
    Next
    ==========================================

Regards,
    Mago
  • It still didn't work if to backup two database or above at the same time.
    So it's the limit of sql backup ?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    There is a known issue with SQL Backup relating to making backups/restores concurrently or within a short space of time within each other. Contact support for a patch.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Got it. Thanks for your reply. :-)