Options

Move Repository Directory

Random LengthsRandom Lengths Posts: 43 Bronze 2
edited June 12, 2010 4:34AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I installed the Alert Repository to my production data directory. I now want it moved to another directory on the same server. How do I do this? Will I lose all my Alert history?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Please read this KB article. You will not lose any data.

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 000321.htm

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    OK, so that allowed me to move the repository, but it seems that not really what I wanted to do.
    The Config.xml file pointed to a directory on the C drive, which was there and I moved it... But, the files I'm trying to move are not on the C drive, they are on the D drive. And look like this:

SQLResponse3cbdbea88e6b48b2ba6e641767152e7d.trc

My guess is that these are related to the actual alerts and or snapshots of the processes that caused the alerts. How do I manage where these files go?
  • Options
    Hi,

The file which you have pointed are actually trace file created by SQL Response.

If you have turned trace ON on your SQL Sever instance then SQL Response creates these trace files. SQL Response creates these files and if any alert is raised then we copy parts of the trace in our alert snapshot file. These files have maximum size set (which is few KB) and they are deleted as soon as we have used it (generally within 5 minutes). Sorry but we do not have any way to manage these files. By default they go to SQL Server Data directory.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    My data directory has 86 of these files. 13 from 2/2/2010, 22 from 2/9/2010, 3 from 3/21/2010, 23 from 5/18/2010, and the rest from within 20 minutes of now. Any of the files on any one day are within an hour of each other.

So, by your earlier statement then, can I just delete the files that are older than today? I guess I can live with 20 or so of these, but 86 is just too many.

I guess one option is to change the default data directory.
  • Options
    Ideally ... the clean up process should have deleted these files after SQL Response used it. But looks like somehow they have been left behind. Yes, please delete all these files which are older than today. After that if you see this happening again i.e. if older files are not getting deleted then please let us know.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software