RESTORE VERIFY ONLY

NDUCKSTENDUCKSTE Posts: 22
edited June 7, 2010 5:13PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We are having problems with the verify portion of a BACKUP command.

The following works in in 1:07 (min:sec) to backup a 3.2 GB database, compressed 83%:

EXEC master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [ACS] TO
DISK = ''I:\MSSQL\SQLBackups\ACS\ACS_201006012032_FULL_F.SQB''
WITH
NAME = ''<DATABASE>-Full Database Backup'',
DESCRIPTION = ''<DATABASE>-Full Database Backup'',
ERASEFILES = 13,
CHECKSUM,
FILEOPTIONS = 5,
INIT,
COMPRESSION = 3,
THREADCOUNT = 2"'

If I use the VERIFY command as part of the BACKUP command, it hangs indefinitely.

Likewise, if I issue the following command to verify it after the backup command has worked successfully with the VERIFY command, it hangs indefinitely. At the moment it has been running for 20 minutes

EXEC master..sqlbackup '-SQL "RESTORE VERIFYONLY
FROM DISK = ''I:\MSSQL\SQLBackups\ACS\ACS_201006012032_FULL_F.SQB''
WITH CHECKSUM" '

Backups are now being done to a local drive. Previously they had been done to a network drive via UNC path and I thought that was part of the problem. This rules that out.

We are running version 6.4.0.56 using SQL Server 2005, version 9.0.4053.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Comments

• I received an email from support and am copying my reply here:

I ran the following as a diagnostic:

EXECUTE master..sqbutility 9997

I ran this but there is no bug report in C:\Program files\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\%instance% folder. It returns NULL with the message "1 record affect". No text files at all in this folder. Could it be somewhere else?

I've had to kill the SQL Backup process via Services several times when the backup hung and the server has not been rebooted. Could that be contributing to sqbutility not reporting properly?

I also ran EXEC master..sqbstatus and it reports the following. None of it changes. BACKUP VERIFY statement is still hung.

Database Login Processed (bytes) Compressed (bytes)
    NULL DOMAIN\Administrator 2578448384 499648512

Nick
  • I executed the following:

EXECUTE master..sqbutility 999, 'RWE', 'C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(LOCAL)'
    Response is:

<SQBUTILITYRESULT>:1:

This result says the read/write permissions on the log folder are ok.What next?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    edited June 10, 2010 11:36PM
    As you are running version 6, the log file (SQBCoreService_<instance name>_bugreport.txt) generated by running sqbutility 9997 is stored in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\' on Windows 2003 and older, and 'C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\' on Windows Vista and newer.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • That definitely helped. Thanks.

Nick