Options

SQBCoreService frequently crashed

LALLAL Posts: 9
edited June 4, 2010 9:27AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have Redgate 6.3 installed on SQL Cluster and it is very unstable. The SQBCoreService crashed frequently when backup/restore or even when just expanding the database list for a SQL Server in the Client.

The only error we get in the Event Log is:

SQL Backup Agent startup error: error initialising IPC objects. Error creating mutex (already exists): Global\SQBMutex_APPDB11

This happened on several instances.

Sometimes the Backup Agent service stopped, other times we were unable to stop and start the service and had to terminate the process from Task Manager.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Can you please verify that your SQL Backup "server components" are also using version 6.x? Version 5 used to have many IPC problems because it used a "Global" IPC object, and from debugging SQL Backup over the last few years I have noticed that we had moved these to "BaseNamedObject" in v6. Therefore it seems to me as if you have a version 6 console managing version 5 components that employ a sub-optimal IPC mechanism.

You can get the server components version from the SQL Backup console by right-clicking the server and selecting "properties". The "service application version" will tell you if you have v5 or v6.

If you need to upgrade to v6, you can use the SQL Backup console.
  • Options
    Hi Brian

The "Service application version" is 6.3.0.48.

Our experience contradicts as SQL Backup 5 is stable. We have SQL Backup 5 installed on Production and 6 on Test, and reluctant to upgrade Prod to 6 due to instability in Test. Both Test and Prod are clusters.
  • Options
    The best suggestion I have is to stop the SQL Backup Agent and use Process Explorer to remove any "orphaned mutexes". Once that's done and you restart SQL Backup Agent, I can't see this happening again, unless possibly you change the account password for the SQL Backup Agent, which has been known to cause this in some rare circumstances. But as far as I'm aware, that "global" mutex is a leftover from a malfunctioning v5 installation of SQL Backup.

1. Download and run "Process Explorer"

2. Use "find handle or dll" to locate Global\SQBMutex*

3. Right-click and delete the object.
  • Options
    SQL Backup Agent crashes frequently.

Any help here?

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: BEX
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: SQBCoreService.exe
    P2: 6.4.0.56
    P3: 2a425e19
    P4: snmpapi.dll_unloaded
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 4a5bdb1f
    P7: 73e97cd6
    P8: c0000005
    P9: 00000008
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\SQLBackup\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2599.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\SQLBackup\AppData\Local\Temp\WER25AA.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    C:\Users\SQLBackup\AppData\Local\Temp\WER25AB.tmp.hdmp
    C:\Users\SQLBackup\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2619.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_SQBCoreService.e_71cc4c5343b219ef5bc763f44c8a5f577ec07624_cab_17712684

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 1ae3dfb3-6f47-11df-a846-003048d20e0a
    Report Status: 4
  • Options
    Hi,

This latest information indicates a completely different problem. I'd recommend contacting support@red-gate.com with the information, the steps that you took to create the error, and if possible, the corresponding SQL Backup log.
  • Options
    P.S. - I think you may want to try turning off DEP for the SQL Backup Agent. But if that doesn't work, please contact us by email or open a new topic, since it's unrelated to the topic of this forum thread.