SQL Backup GUI error can't connect

joshmurrahjoshmurrah Posts: 24
edited August 23, 2005 2:24PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I've done three installs, no problem, but I'm on my 4th install, and I'm getting the following error opening SQL Backup GUI after typing in my SQL Server credentials: "Failed to connect to any instances of SQL Server on the local machine."

I'm using the default instance, and I can open SQL Query Analyzer locally & remotely and open by name, and also can use "." locally. I've used my own credentials (with system administrator role) and sa, neither work.

I'm running 3.2.0.2... I've rolled back to 3.2.0 also, no change.
-Josh Murrah

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Does the message appear immediately, or after a while (~15 seconds)? And this is SQL Server 2000, not 7?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Yep, it's SQL 2000, and it's immediate, no delay whatsoever.
    -Josh Murrah
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup reads the following registry value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\InstalledInstances

to find out the names of the installed local instances (MSSQLSERVER being the default instance). Does everyone have rights to at least read the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server key?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • My apologies, I just found out today that this is in fact a SQL 7.0 box... wasn't aware we still had any online!
    -Josh Murrah