Options

Feature Request: Parenthesis highlighting

williamdwilliamd Posts: 34
edited May 7, 2010 6:49AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi there,

I would like to suggest a small extra feature for future SQL Prompt releases.

Give the following code:

select top (10) * from dbo.Personnel

When you move the cursor to either of the brackets, the corresponding bracket should be highlighted.

This is a feature within the native intellisense that I really would like to use with SQL Prompt. It is especially helpful with multi-layered bracketing; think CAST(SUM(n) as varchar(5)).

At present I have to disable SQL Prompt, enable Intellisense and then do the work of identifying the different layers and then reverse the procedure to be back in "developer mode".
Regards

William

Comments

• Options
    David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,439 Rose Gold 2
    Thanks for the request. Yes, this would be a great feature to have. I've raised this as an enhancement (SP-2963). We'll let you know if this finds its way into the tool.

Thanks!

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    SQL Prompt sort of has this, as you are typing the ()s it will highlight them. But for existing code you have to select the ( or ) and type over it and it will highlight the matching one. (It is sort of a pain, but it isn't as much of a pain as disabling SQL Prompt, and enabling Intellisense.)
  • Options
    David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,439 Rose Gold 2
    Hmmm... I've just tried this and even with native Statement Completion disabled the parentheses correctly highlight when I move my cursor over it.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Hi all,

I am not seeing the same behaviour as you all are.

When I type an opening bracket, the corresponding close bracket is added automatically (this is an optional setting that I have enabled) and going inside a set of brackets brings up the tooltip that corresponds to the command. However, the grayed highlighting is not happening for me, regardless of the method tried - this is not an optional setting is it?

Here is my system setup:

Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64 Bit (English)
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.2531.0
    SQL Prompt Professional Edition 4.0.2.53

Additionally installed tools in SSMS
    SSMS Tools Pack 1.7.5.1
    SQL Refactor 1.3.0.207

On top of this I have a three monitor setup using an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 450. I have seen rendering problems before due to multi-monitor setups. I don't think this can be the issue it is better to mention it, just in case.
    Regards

William
  • Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    This is SSMS 2008 feature and in order to use it you need to check your below settings:

1. In SSMS 2008 Tools --> Options --> Text Editor --> Transact-SQL --> make sure to deselect option 'Auto list members'

2. Tools --> Options --> Text Editor --> Transact-SQL --> IntelliSense --> Select option 'Enable Intellisense'

After that open a new window and check if that feature is enabled or not.

Kindly let us know whether this fixes the issue for you.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Anu,

that does activate the highlighting, thank you! However, with the native intellisense active I get the table and column suggestions from both SQL Prompt and Intellisense.

I hope this feature gets baked into SQL Prompt, two tools combined to fulfill a task is not "ingeniously simple" :wink:

Thanks to all for the help.
    Regards

William
  • Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Have you deslected this option?
    In SSMS 2008 Tools --> Options --> Text Editor --> Transact-SQL --> make sure to deselect option 'Auto list members'

If you deselect this option it should not show up native intellisense?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com