Using Visual Studio DBPro and sourcing data

AdamRAdamR Posts: 19
Is there a good way to source data using Data Compare and Visual Studio DB Pro? Data Compare wants a different folder structure than DB Pro.

Comments

• SQL Data Compare isn't currently compatible with DBPro, but it's something we would consider if there's sufficient demand. I'd be interested to hear from others with similar requirements.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I think if there was a way to configure the layout of the directory structure, even editing a configuration file, that would be perfect and really flexible for anyone's needs.
  • Ah... I think I know what you're trying to do. Are you hoping to use SQL Data Compare to compensate for the fact that DBPro doesn't yet support data?

This may be something we could do, although I'd urge you to first request this from Microsoft as it is likely that this is on their roadmap. If we supported the DBPro Database Project, and they implement the feature in a different way soon after, it would be redundant work on our behalf.

If it turns out that Microsoft aren't going to support data in their Database Projects anytime soon, it's something we would consider.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Yep, that is what I am trying to do. Honestly, at this time I am only doing research. We are trying to find a better solution to sourcing the database. I am even trying out your CTP of SQL Source Control. Of course, SQL Data Compare works with SQL Source Control, so that is less of an issue if we go that way.

I'll check with MS to see if they are going to support sourcing data soon.
  • Yes, SQL Data Compare uses the folder structure supported by SQL Compare and SQL Source Control. For v1.0 of SQL Source Control, you'll need to use SQL Data Compare separately to keep your static data in source control, but in a later release we'll integrate this directly into the SSMS interface.

If you have any feedback, good or bad, on SQL Source Control so far we'd love to hear from you.

Kind regards,

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software