Log Restore MOVETO option

PaulCPaulC Posts: 9
edited August 15, 2005 8:05PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hey!

I am currently setting up log shipping using the method suggested in the documentation.

One thing that I have noticed is that when RESTORE's MOVETO option is used, the log file appears to be moved even if the RESTORE was unsuccessful.

The documentation states: "The MOVETO option is used to move the files to another folder after the restore process has completed successfully."

Is there any way to have the log files moved only when the RESTORE is successful?

Thanks!

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    In version 3.x, SQL Backup is unable to detect functional SQL Server errors during a restore e.g. out-of-sequence logs, database not in recovery state etc. The next version of SQL Backup will do this.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • What type of error are you getting because I have had it fail and leave the logs even with the move to?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When a trx log file is restored, SQL Backup decompresses the file and passes the uncompressed data to SQL Server. Any errors that SQL Backup catches during the decompresion phase can be caught, and dealt with accordingly. Any errors that SQL Server encounters with the uncompressed data cannot be identified by SQL Backup reliably e.g. an out of sequence log file.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • MrDave wrote:
    What type of error are you getting because I have had it fail and leave the logs even with the move to?

It was failing due to out of sequence log files.

When setting up log shipping, I accidentally moved the first log file when I moved the full backup, and when I attempted to run a wildcard *.* restore, it moved ALL of the log files that matched the restore criteria... this could have made it time consuming to figure out which log file was the last file restored had log shipping not just been set up.

Thanks for the information petey :!:
  • petey wrote:
    The next version of SQL Backup will do this.

So, when is this next version of SQL Backup due to be released :?: