Large queries - sql prompt 'gives up'?

jreynoldsjreynolds Posts: 31
edited April 15, 2010 4:01AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I've noticed after building a few hundred lines of sql that sql prompt basically starts to 'give up' on prompting for previously defined temporary tables.

I would define a temp table in the beginning, and later (no alter table statements anywhere) after a couple of hundred lines of code, it just stops prompting. No errors, but just no prompts.

Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    edited April 14, 2010 8:24PM
    If you search you will find a number of people have complained about this. SQL Prompt only searches x characters before the cursor and y characters after the cursor, so once your query/batch gets big it isn't seeing enough to give suggestions.

If you contact support they can give you instructions on adjusting how many characters it looks at, but I have found if I set them large enough to work that SQL Prompt gets too slow and it is worse than not getting suggestions at all.
  • I have opened a ticket to see if I can learn the secret sauce.

Thanks.
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hello,

If you experience issues with SQL Prompt not suggesting variables over large blocks of SQL or SQL Prompt is failing to provide help when you have a large script, please do email support@red-gate.com for a workaround.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com