Licensing question

hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
edited April 12, 2010 9:31AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We own 5 copies of SQL toolbelt under maintenance which includes SQL Backup.

Tols this allow me to use SQL Backup on 5 physical servers? We have a Active \ active cluster and was wondering if this license would work with it.

Thanks

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The licensing of SQL Backup and SQL Response is per physical server or virtual server. A better way of describing it would be per Windows instance. Which is unlike the other SQL tools, for example SQL Compare, which are licensed per user.

So if you have purchased and / or own 5 license of SQL Toolbelt, you have available to you 5 server licenses of SQL Backup (and SQL Response).

If you wish to install SQL Backup to your active \ active cluster, this will use up 2 of the 5 licenses (assuming that this is a 2 node cluster).

Once you have installed the SQL Backup Server Components for each SQL Instance, you can use a utility called 'ProductionActivation.exe' you will find it on a machine with the SQL backup GUI installed by default in this directory on a 32-bit machine:
    C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6

The utility will prompt you for a serial number for each node and activate on each node for you.

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,
    I have one license of the tollbelt yet I was able to install and activate the SQL Backup on 4 servers (one two-nodes cluster + two others).
    Will I also need SQL Backup license for every Dev server I want to restore my DB on?
    Thanks,
    Eyal.
    Eyal Shahar
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Eyal

Thank you for your post.

The most likely reason why you were able to activate a two node cluster and two other servers, is that each license serial number is supplied with a number of allowed activations. For what ever reason, you had sufficient allowed activations against your SQL Toolbelt serial number, that allowed you to activate SQL Backup on 4 machines using your SQL Toolbelt serial number.

for this reason I suspect that you are under licensed and require at least 3 additional SQL Backup licenses.

To answer your question:
    Will I also need SQL Backup license for every Dev server I want to restore my DB on?
    The answer is yes, every machine (physical or virtual) that has a SQL Backup Server Components installation will require a license of SQL Backup.

I recommend that you contact our Sales Team via e-mail, sales@red-gate.com who are best placed to advise you on SQL Backup licensing and the costs involved.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Now I am waiting...
    Eyal Shahar