Restore to different destination server

scopelandscopeland Posts: 2 Bronze 2
edited August 3, 2010 4:12PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I would like to restore a backup of a production database to our test server. When I run the restore wizard, there is no option available where I can choose a different destination server. How do I restore from production to test?

Steve

Comments

• Hi Steve,

When you use the restore wizard, step 1 gives you a drop down list of all the SQL Server instances you've registered with the application. If the server you wish to restore to is not on this list, you must first register it (File > Add SQL Server). Remember to change "Select from backup history" to "Browse for backups to restore" in step 1 or the wizard will only show backups from the selected test server.

Hope this helps,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • brosatobrosato Posts: 89 Bronze 2
    RBA wrote:
    Hi Steve,

When you use the restore wizard, step 1 gives you a drop down list of all the SQL Server instances you've registered with the application. If the server you wish to restore to is not on this list, you must first register it (File > Add SQL Server). Remember to change "Select from backup history" to "Browse for backups to restore" in step 1 or the wizard will only show backups from the selected test server.

Hope this helps,

I bet he wants to use the backup history of 1 server for the selections and have it restore to a different server. That would be kind of nice actually.
  • Hi scopeland,
    You can create one database of same name which is already created.
    Then at the database restoring time select overwrite files checkbox.
    It will save all the files and queries in that database.
  • Hello...

I am attempting to perform a like operation - Restore Prod to Test from a UNC. When I go through the steps to Add Files and enter the IP\Path, I get an error - "Cannot Access Resource, check to make sure you have the correct permission to this resource.

Support has directed me to this KB -
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... wledgebase\SQL_Backup\KB200903000369.htm

However, following the instructions to update the key on the Target Server being restored TO, I don't see the "BrowsingUserlist" key.

This is what the KB says to do -

In SQL Backup version 6 and higher, you can disable SQL Backup's impersonation and browse network shares using the service startup account for the SQL Backup Agent service. If the account running this service is a domain account with access to network resources, the shares should become visible. Unlike the first solution, however, each individual user who can use the file browser in this way must be explicitly listed in the registry key. This key is called:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance>\BrowsingUserList

The value is of type REG_MULTI_SZ, and each user who is allowed to browse the network using the SQL Backup Agent's credentials must be listed on its' own line in the Windows NT account format, for instance "DOMAIN\USER".
  • RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Hi kunderwood,

You will need to manually create the value for BrowsingUserList. Special values like this are not generated automatically by SQL Backup.

Kind regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • dhtuckerdhtucker Posts: 41 Bronze 3
    Let me second brsato's motion: :!: It'd be REALLY nice actually if we could use the backup history of one server and have it restore to another server.
    Doug Tucker
    Database Administrator / Software Engineer
    Nelnet Business Solutions - FACTS-SIS