Options

sql response - can it cause a system to halt?

randyvrandyv Posts: 166
edited March 31, 2010 12:14PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
We started having a problem on 3/19 - our production server was halting.
Initially this appeared in the Event log as a series of cascading MSMQ failures caused by a login failure from a remote server. The strange thing about this login failure what the login name, it was ''. (Blank).
Further analysis shows the cascade was a symptom of TCP/IP halting, apparently due to the cascading errors raised when '' failed to login.

After eliminating any job making a remote call to the production server from the remote server, I ascertained that the only other thing that could possibly be wanting to login to the production server from the remote server was SQL Response, as the remote server hosts the repository :shock: .

I halted the service on the remote server yesterday and we ran fine.
This morning I came in and started the service and in short order the production server halted again.

Making this more problematic - the production server is running a software package that is on its last legs, and we are not supported by the vendor. We are starting a migration to a new system next month, but for now, I cannot do much meddling with updates and such to the production server.

I hate to not use SQL Response as it has been invaluable to us here for the past year plus - but I cannot keep having everyone log off to restart this server 2 or 3 times a day.

Any suggestions?
What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
Randy Volters

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post and sorry that you have encountered a problem.

A support call has been created for you, the call reference is F0033075

Can you please locate the SQL Response Alert Repository Log Files and send a copy of them to us. There maybe an entry in the log files that will help us. To locate the Alert Repository Log Files, open the SQL Response Client -> Click on the SQL Response icon immediately above the file menu in the very top left hand corner -> In the menu that occurs, select Copy Alert Repository Log Files.

Send an e-mail with a copy of the log file attached and include the call reference number in the subject field of the e-mail. Also please include the name of the server experiencing this issue in your e-mail.

Hopefully the log files will contain entries as to why the Alert Repository cannot connect to the server.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    In order to do that, I would have to turn the service back on, otherwise the application closes when I click on the icon.

Turning the service back on, even momentarily virtually assures a system halt, and this has become so problematic for us that I cannot turn it back on.

However, the vendor has owned up to being the core problem, so you can close this.
    What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
    Randy Volters