Compare shows differences but they are not different

nesr235nesr235 Posts: 3
I am comparing two tables with columns that are defined as CHAR(1). I have the "Trim trailing spaces" checked and the "Forced binary collation" option is NOT checked.

Any ideas of why it says that a "N" in one table is not the same as "N" in another table?

Out of 314351 rows it show 49380 rows being different. Most of which are not different.
Russ Nesbitt

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Russ,

I'm not sure what's going on there, but I would imagine that if you choose one of these rows using a SQL query, casting the column as VARBINARY will probably show different values. If it does, then the 'N's are probably different characters.
  • Thanks for your response. I checked again, and they were showing differences but I could not tell that there were any.

I finally did a work around. I extracted the table to a flat file to my hard drive of the two different tables, then I did a compare using pgm called "EXAMDIFF". Redgate showed something like 49,000 + errors. After extracting the table to a txt file "EXAMDIFF" found 249 errors.

Other tables I have not had any issues.
    Russ Nesbitt
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Russell,

Sorry, but we'd probably need a copy of the database to work this out. I'd bet that if you tried looking at the actual data in binary form, you would see some difference.