Objects Not Displayed for Database

gsimmons31gsimmons31 Posts: 2
edited October 16, 2010 6:50AM in SQL Dependency Tracker
For some reason Dependency Tracker will not display any objects for a particular database. Other databases on the same server do not have this problem. When I "Add Objects" and choose my instance if I click on the one database that is giving me problems it simply shows the server and database with no associated objects. It seems that any other database, even on the same server, works as expected.

The only difference between these databases that I can think of is the one that is giving me problems is using a Binary Sort Order (Latin1_General_BIN). In fact, I have a "copy" of this database on another server. The tables are replicated from the "problem" database but the sort order is not binary. When I run add objects for the copy of the database all works as expected.

Thanks,
George

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your post.

Could you kindly check the permissions for the database that is causing problem?

We have a knowledge base describing the necessary permissions for Dependency Tracker here.

Kindly let us know if that helped.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Did the suggestion provided by us resolved your issue?

Kindly let me know if you need any help.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • We are experiencing the same symptom, but most likely a different cause. Permissions are fine since SQL Compare works perfectly with the database (scripting, comparing, and synchronizing), but SQL Dependency Tracker does not list out the objects. The database is a PeopleSoft database with a large number of customizations, so the object count is huge. In excess of 5000 tables, 2000 procedures, etc., which occasionally even makes SSMS Object Explorer choke.

Oddly, it immediately presents a sub-set of the objects (i.e. it doesn't wait 30 or 60 seconds first). On another very large database, but smaller, it takes about 20 seconds before it presents all the objects. If it were timing out, I would expect it reach 30 seconds (as an example) but it doesn't for this particularly large database. It presents the short list of objects in about 1-2 seconds with no error message being presented.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
    David R Buckingham
  • To clarify the situation, I reproduced what one of the developers showed me to better understand it. When the database with a huge number of objects is selected, only the database container is listed immediately (sub-second). No objects within the database are listed for possible selection. All the other databases on the server (with significantly fewer objects) operate as expected and take varying amounts of time to present their selection list.

I am a sysadmin on the server and experience the same results as the developer (who had non-dbo specific rights granted for SQL Compare, Data Compare, etc.).
  • In case it is of importance:

The developer is running 32-bit Windows Server against a SQL 2005 instance. I am running 64-bit Windows 7 against the same SQL 2005 instance. The database is in 90 compatibility mode. We both have the latest version of SQL Dependency Tracker (2.50.0.558).
  • I am having a similar issue - when I select the server name and the database, no objects are shown to be selected. The user is a dbo for the database, so it can't be a permissions issue. Please help.
    Regards
  • We are having the same problem. In some databases the objects are displayed and in others not. I'm db_owner in each database. How to solve this problem?
  • Yes, I found the solution for this problem:

In addition, if running on SQL Server 2008, you also need to GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE TO <user>