System.OutOfMemoryException -- After about 3 refreshes

TSchwabTSchwab Posts: 80
Hi,

I have a compare project with a very large database with about 430 tables.
It works perfectly until i refresh the compare result for the 3rd or 4th time.

I had to change the mapping of some of the columns in different tables to get the right result.

Is there a way to avoid the OutOfMemoryException?

(I'm using SQL Data Compare 8.0.2.5)
Regards,

Thorsten

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The machine running SQL Data Compare, will create temporarily files by default in the Windows Temp directory.

I would expect that these temp files would get overwritten, when you refreshed the compare result. Maybe the temp files are not getting overwritten and you are running out of space in the Windows Temp file directory. I will need to test for this and update you.

A support call has been created for you and the call reference number is F0032604

You can if you wish, set a system variable called RGTEMP and this action will force SQL Data Compare to use this new system variable. Useful if the machine running SQL Data Compare has 2 or more local disks and the local C: drive is short of disk space.

To set the system variable follow the steps below:
    1. Right MyComputer and select Properties.
    2. Select the Advanced Tab.
    3. Click on the Environment Variables button.
    4. In the System variables section, click on the new button.
    5. For the 'Variable name' = RGTEMP
    6. Type the path required for the New System Variable, for example D:\RGTEMP.
    7. Click OK to close New System Variable Dialog Box.
    8. Click OK to close the Environmemt Variables Dialog Box.
    9. Click OK to close the System Properties.
    You may need to re-boot the machine for the system variable to take affect.
    10. When you next start up SQL Data Compare (or any other Red Gate SQL Tools products, for example SQL Compare, SQL Doc or SQL Dependency Tracker) the temp files created will now be generated in the folder specified for the system variable RGTEMP.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer, but I don't think the Temp-directory is running out of free space. I have 150 GB of free space on the Temp-directory HDD.

Do you have any other idea?

It works, if I exit SQL Data Compare and start it again.

Thanks,
    Regards,

Thorsten
  • Hi there,

It looks like you are currently running the release version of SQL Data Compare. Are you able to give the latest cumulative patch a go?

There has been, as far as I am aware, some work done on the memory usage with the patch, so hopefully this will work a little better for you.

The patch is available from the below link:

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=9880

Many thanks!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Hi Pete,

I'm using Data Compare Version 8.0.5.77 does this one include all fixes of 8.0.5.75 ?
    Regards,

Thorsten
  • Hi there,

It does indeed, however on the original post you wrote you were using 8.0.2.5.

Are you experiencing the same issues with 8.0.5.77?

Many thanks!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Hi Pete,

It got better, now it takes about 10 refreshes to get the Exception. This is much better.
    Regards,

Thorsten
  • Hi there

I am glad that this is better for you. Obviously running out of memory isn't ideal at any point in time and we will continue to look into it, but I am glad that this is more usable for you.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569