SQLCompare is hanging on 'Getting latest version of db'

jonswainojonswaino Posts: 18
Hi,
I am having a problem with SQL Compare. When I do a database comparision with my SQL scripts folder, the SQL compare process dialog pops-up and hangs on the 1st 'Getting latest version of database' stage.

This prevents it from proceeding. If I click 'Cancel', the application just stays in the 'Cancelling' stage and seems to hang.

I can only force a kill process on the application. I think this is definately a bug and needs looking into.
If I re-launch the application, the same thing happens again.

Do you know what is causing this?
It is happening on: SQL Compare 8.1.0.360 pro-edition

I've noticed this also seems to be reported on the following post:
SQL Compare 8.1.2.44 hangs on first synchronization wizard

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum and sorry that you have encountered a problem.

We have a created a support call for you, the call reference number is F0031764.

Can you please provide some logging details which may help identify the cause of the issue, as follows:

1. Open SQL Compare, cancel the project dialog that appears so that you have a blank SQL Compare window.

2. Click on the SQL Compare icon in the very top right hand corner above the file menu.

3. In the menu that appears, select the minimum logging levels and change the setting to Verbose.

4. Now select your project or create a new project and attempt to compare. When the problem occurs. Locate the log file, by default located in this folder:
    C:\Documents and setting\<User_Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Compare
    or by clicking on the SQL Compare icon in the very top right hand corner above the file menu and select the option to locate log files or Open current log file.

5. Send an e-mail to support@red-gate.com with your call reference F0031764 in the subject field of the e-mail with the log file attached.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi,
    I think I found the cause of the problem so this issue can be closed down.

When I do a compare of the database against scripts, there is a SqlCompareDatabaseInfo.xml and a RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml file in the root of the path. I'm not sure why I have this files, and also it seems that sourcesafe sees that these files are always different when getting the latest version. As SQL Compare is set to check-out files immediately, source safe prompts for whether these fails should be overwritten with the server versions. This prompt is displayed but hidden behind the SQL Compare dialog box which means that it looks like SQL compare is hanging. It isn't - its just that SQL compare is waiting on sourcesafe to complete, and sourcesafe is waiting for a prompt for the user. Because the dialog is hidden, its not evident that sourcesafe is awaiting a response.

The solution is to shuffle/minimise windows to try and get to the dialog box. Maybe sql compare's dialog could be positioned behind or force sourcesafe dialog to come to the top.