Suggestion: list SQL errors before synchronisation

CrispinHCrispinH Posts: 57
At the moment if there are any SQL errors found at synchronisation time only the first error is shown in a pop-up. This is a nuisance if there are actually multiple errors that need resolving. It would be a useful if there could either be something on the Tools menu that would check the database integrity and list all the errors that are going to be found at sync time.

Regards

Crispin

Comments

• Thanks for the suggestion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that many of the errors you refer to are due to "invalid objects" that reference other objects that no longer exist or have been renamed?

The good news is that we are hoping to add a feature to SQL Prompt that will identify such objects, allowing you to fix all the problems in your database in one go.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi David

Objects that no longer exist or have been renamed pretty much sums it up.

Glad to hear that SQL Prompt will fix it in the future. However, it would also be useful to be able to run a check from SQL Compare because that's where the problem will be mercilessly exposed.

Crispin
  • Good point. I hadn't really thought about it from that point of view. It might well be worth our while putting the functionality into both tools.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    I generally work around this problem by taking the script and running it in SSMS, which will tell me all the errors (although sometimes with some bonus ones from previous operations being rolled back).
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software