Slow response times while typing

Shai-HuludShai-Hulud Posts: 9
edited September 1, 2010 5:45PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi,

I have just gotten my new Workstation and installed the Dev Tools from scratch, including SQL Server 2008 Client Tools, SP1 and SQL Prompt 4.0.3.

This is a rather high spec machine but whenever I start typing queries, once the suggestion list pops up / moves while I'm typing, it takes ages. It eats keystrokes and typing queries is a pain / very slow. I have increased the suggestion pop-up time to 500ms (and I usually do not pause that long while typing :)), but still the pop up "tries" to pop up and then starts moving while I'm typing. Which would be ok if it wasn't slowing down my typing experience that much

Any hints / solutions would be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Kai Iske

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your post and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Can you kindly follow the steps mentioned in our knowledgebase here

Kindly let me know if this fixes the issue.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • I am seeing the same symptoms on a very similar application setup. Don't think it's hardware specific, because I was seeing the same problem on my old workstation that was recently replaced with a docked laptop.

The problem appears for me when the length of the script increases. However, it starts when the overall length is actually quite small (for example, 120 lines).

I have noticed that restarting SSMS seems to result in an improvement, but it does eventually degrade again over time.
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hello mobsite,

Thanks for your post.

Can you email support@red-gate.com and I will provide you the workaround for this issue?

Kindly add the forum link in your email.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • BTW: The Knowledge Base article fixed the issue, but I had to almost completely disable HW acceleration which I find quite strange as no other app seems to be having issues drawing WinForms apps and moving them around.

Will there be any update to the IntelliSense popup rendering anytime soon?
  • OK guys I got a serious issue with disabling hardware acceleration on my Nvidia graphic cards to get SQL Prompt to work.

That's not an acceptable solution.

I'm running the latest drivers with 7000 & 8000 series cards. The pauses and delays are immediate. I'm talking clicking into the window and nothing happens for a few seconds.

And the delays are intermitent. I've noticed that it will work just fine and then suddenly in the middle of populating the drop down it will pause. I just opened up a database immediately after a reboot and the delay was present.

I find it highly unlike the issue is with my Nvida cards, especially when people are reporting the issue on laptops.

This is a serious problem and is approaching the 'uninstall sql prompt' and go back to SQL prompt 3 level...again.

Is there a reason why we have to email to get the workaround and is this different from the disable HW acceleration?

Best Regards,
    Nick Hustak
  • I double that! This is (a) more than annoying and (b) I do not understand the reason.

Please advise
  • Shai-Hulud wrote:
    I double that! This is (a) more than annoying and (b) I do not understand the reason.

Please advise

So where are we on this issue. One of our users is also having the problem.