Options

Copying data without overwriting

lreichenbachlreichenbach Posts: 3
Howdy gang!

I have what I am hoping is a simple question...

I have to update an older version of our database schema to our new structure (that part was easy), then I have to copy the old data to the new tables. For some of the data I was able to generate my own mappings so I did not overwrite current data or lose legacy data.

So far so good. :)

I do have a couple of tables that have me stymied. To simplify things the table looks like this:

ID (identity) | CallID (our software generates this and needs to be unique)

1 1234
2 1235
3 1236
etc...

The problem is I need to ensure that although there will be DUPLICATE CallID's across the tables - I need NEW CallID's for the old.

Can this be done within the SDK?
Should I just build the SQL by hand and do it that way?

Thanks for the help!
Louis

Comments

• Options
    I found a solution:

- I grabbed the max(callid) number from the new DB
    - Updated all the callID's on the archived data to callid + max so they would start counting up from the largest callid
    - Now with the archived rows completely different from the current rows I was able to use RedGate's SDK to merge the data together.

Certainly easier than a pure SQL solution but not as nice if the SDK had a clean way to do this and preserve data. Oh well...close enough!

Louis
    Louis
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Louis,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to see that you found a solution. SQL Comparison SDK is all obout normalizing data, so it really doesn't give you the ability to "transform" the data when it's being synchronized (to use a DTS term!).

The solution would probably lie in some custom SQL -- if you didn't already have an IDENTITY on the ID column, I would have suggested putting an identity on CallID and seeding it to the max value already in the table. I don't know of a way of doing it in the SDK, though.