Copying log files issues

skyline69skyline69 Posts: 6
edited February 18, 2010 5:00AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi, over the last couple of weeks we have been seeing issues once or twice a week with log shipping to several of our backup servers. Problems we have seen includes...
    partial files been created on the COPYTO command not fully created .sql log files on the COPYTO command.
Has anyone else noticed any issues since the last BACKUP release similar to these or know of an existing bug?

It could be issues with the NAS box the files are being copied to but I need to rule RedGate BACKUP out before I can progress the checking on to the hardware side.

We are log shipping a 1TB database with LS files ranging from a few MB to several GB every 15 minutes. The weird thing is it appears to be the small files that are failing - last failure was on a 8MB log shipped file which on the host machine was 8,496KB and after the COPYTO was 8,245KB on 2 out of 3 backup directories.

Brian

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Brian,

We have had lots of support calls about log shipping, but the failure points are notoriously hard to track down. There is some information in SQL Backup that may help, though, particularly the "log copy queue". This will tell you how many files are being copied and are waiting to retry.

Of course if Backup encounters an error, the thread may terminate and it may be worthwhile to track down the activity log file for that backup job to discover why the copy part of the backup job had failed.
  • Hi Brian thanks for replying so quick. I had checked the logs before but all seems well in them even although the copyto had produced a partial file.

It's as if the COPYTO had started before the compression thread had ended.

I have sent an email explaining what I have seen so far etc.