Options

How to compare individual objects?

acaterinoacaterino Posts: 4
Where I currently work as a developer, it is my role to create stored procs necessary for my projects; however, when it comes to deployment it is up to our DBA's to deploy the stored procs accross our multiple databases. Unfortunately the DBA's do not use RedGate tools to help with this and do it manually and sometimes they forget to deploy to some databases.

I'm trying to figure out a way that I can create a list of database objects that I have either created or modified for my projects and then take a snapshot of my database that I know is accurate and then compare just those individual objects to the production databases to make sure things got deployed correctly. Or possibly use the script files instead of a snapshot of the database.

So far I haven't found a way to compare individual objects. The only thing I've been able to do is use CompareWith and get all the differences and then loop through them looking at the names for the specific ones I'm interested. Is this the best way?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Anthony,

The SDK works like the commercial version of SQL Compare. You must compare everything, then filter out objects that you do not want to synchronize. Once the comparison completes, the collection of differences can be enumerated and examined using code. That's the only way that it works.
  • Options
    Thank you for the response. That's what I assumed, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.