Propagating system functions

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited July 26, 2005 10:29AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
The generates synchronize script omits "header and footer" lines when propagaing system functions, i.e., from master to master. I couldn't see an option to get them to generate so had to open the script in QA and add them myself. As SQL Compare is so intelligent already, could you add an option to automatically generate the following example commands, please?:

EXEC SP_CONFIGURE 'ALLOW UPDATES', 1
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE
USE MASTER
GO

<< Create Function ... >>

EXEC SP_CONFIGURE 'ALLOW UPDATES', 0
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello there,

This is a bit confusing -- SQL Compare is specifically designed NOT to allow the migration of System functions -- only user tables and objects should be migrated by SQL Compare. If it is attempting to migrate MSShipped or System objects, then something is not right. One or more of your MSShipped database objects is probably marked as a user object.

Please let us know what you think and we'll try to help.
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    I created a number of scalar functions that I want to be available across all databases, e.g, fn_lpad (the equivalent of Oracle's LPAD) and a multi-transform function fn_transform (like Oracle's TRANSFORM), along with a number of others. Although they are UDF's, to make them available as desired, I add them to the master DB in the system_function_schema, but to do that I need the "header and footer" commands as described in my original post.

If SQL Compare isn't designed to do this, that's OK. I did generate the entire migration script using SQL Compare against the two master DBs, so to add the commands myself in QA is no great hardship. PLEASE don't disallow master-to-master compares and script generation in future releases!!! :wink:

Great Product - used nigh on daily - wish we had an Oracle version when I was shackled to that DB!
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
This discussion has been closed.