Options

Question on comparison to script folder

weswinklerweswinkler Posts: 54 New member
edited February 3, 2010 12:25PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Our database and application design (unfortunately) allows new tables to be created dynamically and persisted in the database.

Our master copy for deployment recognizes this, treats these as special user tables, and ignores them.

Is it possible to convince SQL Compare to do likewise? Can I specify which tables NOT to script? All these new tables share a common naming structure. Is it possible to tell SQL Compare programmatically which tables to ignore?

My approach would be to script the live database to a folder, then use SQL Compare to find differences between that folder and our current master copy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Wes,

SQL Compare has always required the entire database schema to be read into memory, to ensure that any synchronizations do not fail because dependent objects are missing from the schema definition, and this is also true for scripts folders.

In order to prevent synchronization of these objects, you have to filter and deselect them after you compare the databases.

If you're using the SDK, then you can run through the collection of Difference objects on the database object and set the "Include" property to "false", which is the equivilent of deselecting an object in the user interface.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.