Options

SQLBACKUPc has encountered an error and needed to close

appwrightappwright Posts: 62
edited July 26, 2005 8:56AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I had this same type problem using GotoMyPC. Never did get it worked out, gave up on trying to help debug it after awhile. If you guys figure it out, let me know also please!!

Comments

• Options
    I have the same issue as well. Any news on this?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I can tell you it is still broken with GotoMyPC. red-gate should signup for a free trial account at http://www.GotoMyPC.com and debug it.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I'd split this topic because it's unrelated to the original topic. I don't believe this is an incompatability between SQL Backup and any remote desktop applications.

SQLBackupc.exe is a command-line only application and is invoked by the sql backup SQL Server stored procedure. As such, it has no interaction with Terminal Services or Remote Desktop applications.

What I believe is happening here is related to your login. SQL Backup died while doing a backup, and left an application fault behind in your application log. When you log in afterwards, Windows checks for application faults and displays a warning when you log in.

To troubleshoot this, you'd need to correlate the time that the application left an entry in the error log with either the SQL Server's VDI.log or one of the backup logs saved in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%.

I think the best thing to do would be to proactively change the backup scripts and use the MAILTO_ONERROR parameter to have the backup log emailed to you when the backups fail. Then you will know to expect to see an error message the next time you log in.

A related issue is that Windows seems to send you these error dialogues for quite a few logins. I don't know how Windows decides to stop notifying you when it finds application faults in the app log, but I have noticed that one app error will cause the warnings to persist over several logins to the server.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the problem. Please let us know if you need any more help with it.