Options

Feature Suggestion: Find + Modify Stored Procedure

mikebridgemikebridge Posts: 19
edited February 3, 2010 5:25PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi-

I just installed SQL Prompt and I really like the intellisense for stored procedures, and it's very cool that I can grab the script for it in the popup window. I would love to also be able to take this one step further so I could jump right to an ALTER PROCEDURE tab using SQL Prompt.

In SSMS right now I have to navigate the tree and scroll down hundreds of stored procedures to find the right one, right click on it and select "Modify". (Or I could use the "filter" button, which isn't much faster.)

In Resharper for Visual Studio, for example, I can use Ctrl-Shift-T to pop up a search box so I can find a file by typing in the first few characters. This saves me a lot of time navigating nested trees of filenames.

Cheers!

-Mike

Comments

• Options
    MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    You can do something similar with SQL Prompt. See this older thread about the same thing:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=9493
  • Options
    Wow, perfect, thanks!

-Mike
    CodantiM wrote:
    You can do something similar with SQL Prompt. See this older thread about the same thing:

• Options
    Oops, I'd say "almost perfect". The problem (as was mentioned in that thread) is that the cache doesn't get refreshed when you alter the procedure. I got bitten right away when I made a second modification to a procedure without manually refreshing the cache---I updated the old version and lost my first round of changes.

Is there any way to automatically refresh the cache?

Thanks!

-Mike

mikebridge wrote:
    Wow, perfect, thanks!

-Mike
    CodantiM wrote:

• Options
    MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    Maybe the Alter object function in SQL Prompt should pull directly from the DB and not the cache, what do you think Red Gate is that possible?

Maybe an option to have the cache auto-refresh just before pulling the object? (That could be problematic since the refresh only refreshes the current DB, and you may be pulling an object from a different DB.)
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been bitten with the stale cache bug a few times now and it's pretty frustrating. The AP-<tab>+autocomplete would save me *so* much time, but redoing lost changes offsets any time savings I might have had.

Refreshing the cache takes a fraction of a second on my machine---I wouldn't notice if it did it automatically when an ALTER PROCEDURE command is executed.

Are there any plans to make any changes to this caching issue?

Thanks!

-Mike

CodantiM wrote:
    Maybe the Alter object function in SQL Prompt should pull directly from the DB and not the cache, what do you think Red Gate is that possible?

Maybe an option to have the cache auto-refresh just before pulling the object? (That could be problematic since the refresh only refreshes the current DB, and you may be pulling an object from a different DB.)