Gui Interface...

swjohnsonswjohnson Posts: 30
edited July 21, 2005 11:14AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Just downloaded and installed SQL Backup (licensed) and when I try to attched to my db server I get "Out of Resources" error after it asks for my username/password credentials.

This server has about 250 user databases. It is SP3 (8.00.760 SP3).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Shawn

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Shawn,

I think that more than likely, SQL Backup is running out of buffer space when trying to pull the backup history from your msdb database. Does this sound possible?

I'll see if I can come up with a query to trim the number of entries for the backup history if that's the case.
  • Could be...the msdb.backupfile, msdb.backupmediafamily, msdb.backupmediaset databases are rather huge (about 3.6 million records each).
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Brian's right about running out of space to hold that number of records. To clear the backup history records, use the sp_delete_backuphistory stored procedure.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Yes, it was probably the number of entries in all the msdb.backupmediaset, msdb.backupmediafamily, msdb.backupset, msdb.backupfile tables.

I started to run the sp_delete_backuphistory Microsoft supplied stored procedure but I learned that it uses a cursor and that it was going to take about forever to delete all but 5 days of history in my msdb database (my db had about 3.8 million records), I found a neat little stored procedure that does it in a set based format that you use as a stored procedure and run through a job and keep the maintenance up-to-date.

http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/archive/2004/07/02/1704.aspx

I know that your extended stored procedure can delete files after x number of days (erasefiles=x). Does it also clean up those entries in the tables above?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    >> Does it also clean up those entries in the tables above?
    No it doesn't.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8