Options

Logfile and backup problems?

colemancoleman Posts: 23
edited January 16, 2010 8:23PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Last night we had a problem which caused us some issues this morning which partly appeared to be tied up with the backup operation which normally completes in less then an hour appearing to not have finished or at least not be marked as finished at 6:45 this morning.

One particularly odd thing was that the logfile had grown to completely occupy the partition occupied it. I was unable to checkpoint and truncate the logfile because SQL Server was indiicating a backup procoess was still in progress. Upon looking, both SQL Server and SQL Backup were indicating the backup from the night before was still not complete. The file was not growing as far as I could tell, but the job hadn't finished. or at least was not indicating completion.

Could a full logfile with no room to grow account for the state of the backup indicating it had not completed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jason,

We haven't had any reports of backups running when log growth can't occur, but according to Microsoft, a full log file can cause a variety of problems. They do note that one side-effect could be a blocked process. So I would wager that the full log file probably blocked the backup process, waiting for the log to grow. It's mentioned in one of their KBs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317375