Conversion file not formed correctly

rkorosrkoros Posts: 18
edited July 21, 2005 11:50AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello again,

I am attempting to restore a converted mtf file. I have used both EM and T-SQL and the restore fails with the following error.

Server: Msg 3241, Level 16, State 41, Line 1
The media family on device 'E:\database health check\test.mtf' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I am running 2000 SP3a. For the script I used a regular Restore command to a different database name. The regular .BAK from MS restores the database just fine. The converted copy is far smaller and it fails to restore the database after processing about 45% to 50% of the file. I have tried both compressed and non-compressed backups and the result is the same. I have surfed the microsoft/sql site and according to them, the error was corrected in SP1.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Robert

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    If you run the RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY ... command on the SQL Backup file, what is the reported database size? E.g. via Query Analyzer

master..sqlbackupc '-sql "RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY FROM DISK = [...] "

Is the reported size approximately equal to the actual database size? Also, are the LSN values displayed, instead of just 0? If the data is not confidential, could you pls send us the SQL Backup file?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I will have to run it tomorrow morning when I get to the office. I will post the results. Unfortunately I cannot send the file for two reasons, the compressed file is 1.4 GB and it is confidential.
    Thanks,

Robert
  • OK, here are the results. The BackupName is marked as *** INCOMPLETE ***, Position is 1 and the rest is NULL.
    Thanks,

Robert
  • Here is some additional information. I tried running the convert again and for the new version 3.2.0 there is a progress echo, it got to 40% then stopped and reported that the MTF file created. Strangely enough it would appear that the percentage reported as being converted is about the percentage that is restored prior to failing.
    Thanks,

Robert
    Looks like you ran BACKUP HEADERONLY. Could you pls run BACKUP SQBHEADERONLY on the SQL Backup generated backup file?

Looks like the backup file is incomplete. Could you pls check for logs (usually C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log) for any error during the backup?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • No problem. First, no errors reported, all backups were successful. Second, RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY is not a recognized command and I am running it on the server that has SQL Backup installed on it. Of course that is through the Query Analyzer not via the command prompt. Here is what you're looking for:

Backup group ID: 49733565
    File Number: 1 of 1

Backup Size: 8.320 GB
    Backup start: today @ 0840
    Backup end: today @ 0844

Server Name:
    Instance: (local)
    Database name: herbert

First LSN: 466375000007993100001
    Last LSN: 466375000007993300001
    Checkpoint LSN: 466375000007993100003
    Differential base LSN: 466375000007988400002
    Thanks,

Robert
    When you ran the conversion, were you creating the MTF file on an NTFS drive?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Nope, FAT32.
    Thanks,

Robert
    FAT32 files are limited to 4 Gig in size.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Ok, so let me get this straight, you're saying that I cannot create the converted file because I the system I am using is FAT32 instead of NTFS? Of course you are. So, you wouldn't happen to know of an easy, painless way to convert from FAT32 to NTFS. If memory serves, you can convert from NTFS to FAT32, but not the other way around. Please tell me I am wrong.
    Thanks,

Robert
    In the <windows>\system32 folder, there is a console app named convert.exe. Use this to convert the FAT32 volume to NTFS.

I am not familiar with all the options, nor aware of any caveats that may apply, so cannot advise you further. It usually works, but I will not be responsible if anything goes wrong.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Relax, I am not looking for someone else to blame if it goes sideways. I can do the research on the correct syntax.

I appreciate the help.
    Thanks,

Robert
    You're welcome. By my estimate, it's past midnight over there, a time when thoughts are scrambled and 'oops' decisions are made, hence the caveat.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Fair enough. It was actually after 1 AM when I was on, apparently I selected the wrong time zone change and I am just to lazy to change it. You are quite right about 'oops' decisions being made late into the night.

BTW it worked correctly this time. It is amazing what happens when all the pieces are in place.
    8)
    Thanks,

Robert