SQBCoreService constantly running @ 10% cpu

dbowsdbows Posts: 5
edited January 8, 2010 4:23AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello - SQBCoreService is running constantly at about 10% cpu. This is a new DB server and I did not do this before (6.3). I have log shipping running and it is the target server. There are no jobs running either.

Anyone have experience with this. I cannot give up 10% of my cpu for this.

Thanks,
David

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi David,

When the SQL Backup Agent is idle, it's only listening for commands to come in via a shared memory interface, so the CPU usage should never be more than 1%.

SQL Backup Agent could be performing a backup or other housekeeping task, such as deleting backup and restore history or copying files. If it's doing a backup, you can tell by either using the console and looking at the activity tab or by running exec master..sqbstatus in SSMS.

If it doing something else, the only way I know to figure out what that is would be to use Process Monitor and see what handles are in use. Only backup tasks are logged or available to view and file copies and history maintenance are not logged, as far as I know.

I hope this helps.
  • Ok - If figured it out.

There was a copy of the SQL Backup UI running on a desktop. It was connected to the Sql Box with SQL Backup running and it was constantly trying to refresh the connection to the box - why I do not know. This was causing 30% cpu on one server and 10% on another. When we shut down the UI the servers went quiet.

David
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks for the follow-up, David. I didn't think about the UI element. It will retrieve backup and restore history occasionally, but it sounds like your UI is working overtime.

If it's causing a problem, feel free to send in the SQL Backup Console logs and we can check to see if there is a problem.

To enable "full" logging, set a registry value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Client\"FullLogging" set to "1" (REG_SZ)

...then you will find the log in your user profile:
    %USERPROFILE%\local settings\application data\red gate\Logs\SQL Backup